Has anyone got any Caspian Sea yoghurt culture?

purplegoanna, Mar 4, 12:17am
pleeeeeeease i killed mine by accident... and cant find it anywhere

coffee3, Mar 4, 8:58am
what is this? it sounds interesting

purplegoanna, Mar 4, 8:42pm
Its a culture and its awesome also known as matsoni or viili, tastes & looks like plain unsweetened yogurt, you put 1cup of it into a jar/jug top it upto a ltr of milk, stir really well and leave on bench or in hot water cupboard overnite and the next morning you have a ltr of yogurt, then you can bung it in the fridge and wait till you get down to the last cupful and start again... we call it neverending yogurt!

uli, Mar 4, 9:28pm
I might still have some - I don't like it at all - after paying $18 for it on TM I persisted, but it is more like a drinking yoghurt, very thin and stringy. I much prefer a thick creamy Greek yoghurt.

purplegoanna, Mar 4, 9:30pm
ill pay you for postage etc Uli, i leave mine in the hot water cupboard and it goes alot thicker, its good & cheap for us as it was being used daily in hubbbys weight gain shakes, do you make your own greek yogurt by culture/starter?

lenart, Mar 5, 12:57am
Caspian Sea yoghurt is not viili, viili is a Finnish fermented product, more stringy, more sweeter, has 3 bacteria plus white mould, which grows on the surface. Matsoni is a thermophilic yoghurt made in Georgia which is in the essence the same as Greek yoghurt. Japanese just picked up an idea of yoghurt making and created CSY which only has 2 bacteria and is mesophilic.
We have dry sachets of CSY starter from Japan, you can start your very own pure Caspian Sea yoghurt, I sent you an email.
Cheers

uli, Sep 30, 11:43am
There you go purplegoanna - saves me finding the leftovers ... .