Help - the chicken hasn't defrosted!

wasala, Dec 24, 2:49am
I left it in the fridge for 48 hours as per the instructions and it's still solid as a rock. Now I know why I don't usually go in for this cooking lark! Any tips?

annie.nz, Dec 24, 2:52am
Fill the laundry tub with cold water, put the chook inside a couple of extra plastic bags, well sealed (i.e. ziplok), and put it into the water for a few hours.Change a couple of times to keep from getting warm.
Good luck.
Or thaw in microwave, but that's a bit dodgier in terms of not thawing through to the middle.

How are you cooking it?

jag5, Dec 24, 2:54am
When do you need it for?If it is tomorrow that is fine.I leave mine in a cool room in the house.Usually the bathroom, in the bath.Pop it in there, then in the fridge overnight then cook in the morning.If you need it tonight, just cook it from frozen.Just make sure you cook it thoroughly, and check the juices are clear not pink.

I have done this many times over the years, with no ill effects at all.Just takes longer is all. Some will say don't cook from frozen, but there is nothing wrong with doing that at all if cooked long enough.

fifie, Dec 24, 2:58am
Had that problem this morning with a very large chook, so took it out of bag and gave it a whirl in microwave on express defrost, that done the trick ive just been admiring my effort of rosemary chicken with all the stuffing balls cascading out its backside looks impressive lol, to take with me tomorrow.

wasala, Dec 24, 3:05am
Ooh that does sound nice. Here's what I'm making:

Tropical Festive Chicken

2 cups long grain rice
400ml can coconut milk
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
3 tbsp oil
1 onion finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
2 rashers bacon, chopped
1/2 cup roughly chopped macadamia nuts
1/4 cup chopped dried mango
1/4 cup chopped coriander
Salt and freshly ground pepper
Size 16 chicken

1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Rinse the rice under cold water until water runs clear. Place the rice in a saucepan with the coconut milk and chicken stock. Bring to the boil and then cover and simmer for 12 minutes until liquid is absorbed.

2. Heat 2 tbsp oil in a frying pan and gently cook onion, garlic and bacon until onion is soft.

3. Mix together the rice, onion, garlic, bacon, macadamia nuts, mango and coriander. Season with salt and pepper.

4. Rinse the chicken, inside and out, and pat dry with a paper towel.

5. Stuff the chicken with the rice mixture, then secure with string.

6. Rub remaining 1 tbsp oil over the skin and dust with salt and pepper.

7. Cook for 1 1/2 hours, turning twice during cooking

wasala, Dec 24, 3:19am
Haha.....I think the cat might have something to say if I left it in the bath!

marcs, Dec 24, 4:20am
Lol my cat too. What we normally do is fill the sink with warm water and sink the chicken into it. Should be defrosted in a couple of hours.

annie.nz, Dec 24, 4:33am
Yup.I often buy my turkey late (poor organisation) and usually leave it out overnight to get it started - it is still at fridge temp next morning - then put it in the fridge for the next couple of days.I did it on the bench the first time, years ago, the cats were very happy indeed.The cats got their bit of cooked turkey off the nibbled areas and we got the rest.

I put it in the oven overnight now if I haven't got it in time for a good clear 4 days in the fridge.

jag5, Dec 12, 2:53pm
Well my cat would be too ......if I left the door open.I meant to say that in my post, but thought....no they would know to shut the door LOL

Merry Christmas