To stuff or not to stuff (that is the question)

anglia, Dec 22, 9:59am
read a lot of recipes which recommend sausage stuffing should not be be actually inside the fowl as it may not cook properly. What is your opinion? I fancy the idea of a traditional sausage and sage stuffing but don't want to give my guests food poisoning with under cooked sausage...

iamkat, Dec 22, 11:10am
Loosen the skin of the bird with a spoon and put a layer of stuffing between it and the flesh - then cookany remaining stuffing in a dish separately and cut up inro squares and serve separately - always a favourite way to eat stuffing in our family!

gardie, Dec 22, 6:19pm
Watched Jaime Oliver do this the other night - he putting stuffing in the other end first - a couple of spoons full and then spread it under the skin but rubbing the skin.He then put some in the cavity by rolling little balls and throwing them in - the heat is still able to get in the cavity which ends up only about 1/2 full.

shop-a-holic, Dec 22, 7:37pm
I buy our favourite sausages (Pure Pork) and take the skins off. I find that the sausage meat in tubes at supermarches are too salty.

I then mix in a handful of Pistachios and dried cranberries.Roll into balls and then coat in Stuffing Mix, so the flavour is on the outside. Bake your balls in the oven (can be done a day ahead); Place the balls into the cavity of the cooked turkey, and have them tumbling out, on the platter for table presentation. All people have to do is grab a ball of stuffing if they wish.

gardie, Dec 22, 8:15pm
Sounds great. I don't do turkey though - find it sooo dry.(Haven't tried the tenderbasted one though).Might just have to try these though.

rosathemad, Dec 22, 8:56pm
I bake my stuffing separately (though under the skin sounds good - the other bonus of cooking separately (which is how it came about for me) is that if you make a bread stuffing it stays vegetarian-friendly, and the bird stays gluten free too.

ant_sonja, Dec 22, 9:11pm
Cook the stuffing separately, that way you can make heaps more too. I make mine in longish logs (think garlic bread size) and bake wrapped in tin foil alongside the bird.

lavender32, Dec 4, 9:03am
I bone out my turkey, lay it flat, spread a stuffing mixture of minced turkey& pork meat & herbs then roll it up & tie or skewer.
It makes life so much easier when carving.