Can someone who knows about glazing a ham please

c-l, Dec 20, 7:55pm
come in here and help me with a few questions.I am glazing a ham now slowly in the oven.I want it for Xmas day and the days leading up and after xmas.I have to do it today as i dont have any spare time prior to xmas.How long do I cook the ham if I am not going to be eating it hot today?

noonesgirl, Dec 20, 8:31pm
pop into the l/h message board & put cooking a ham in the keyword, then in date posted put anytime. Your answers are there.

245sam, Dec 20, 9:15pm

maryteatowel1, Dec 20, 9:44pm
...cook your ham first...in a roasting dish with a fair bit of water...i always cover it in tin foil...the ham i mean...i wrap the skin in the foil...then cook it...like 2 hours...depending on how big...when you get it out the skin will peel off really really easy...it is the lower layer of fat you are really glazing...(i went to a xmas party the other day where they glazed the skin...that's not what you want!!!)...score the fat...then brush with the glaze...put it back in the oven...about 170c for 15-20 mins... brush with glaze a couple of times...you want a nice colour and some flavour to go through the fat...then when it is your preferred colour take it out and when it is cold you can decorate with all those silly bits of pineapple and cherries...

davidt4, Dec 20, 10:18pm
I agree with maryteatowel1 except I glaze and bake a bone-in ham for about one and a half hours at 180C.The flesh firms up and the flavour is intensified.

I would never use pineapple, cherries etc, but cloves stuck into each square of fat are useful as they help to anchor the outside layer.I tried baking a ham without the cloves and the fat started to flake away from the flesh and didn't look so good.

This year I glazed a ham with a mixture of honey, Dijon mustard and Bourbon and the flavour is excellent.

fisher, Dec 20, 10:20pm
especially the bourbon..}}

pericles, Nov 25, 1:58am
Good old Fisher