Cranberry & Red Onion Relish

nauru, Dec 20, 7:05am
This is a really nice relish to serve with Turkey or Ham for Christmas.A nice change to the usual pots of cranberry sauce & jelly that we can buy.

2 tablespoons butter
2 red onions peeled and sliced
Grated rind and juice of 1 large orange
2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
4 tablespoons sugar
4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
4 tablespoons red wine
1/2 teaspoon allspice
pinch of ground cinnamon

Method
Melt the butter in medium saucepan and fry the onions gently until softened, about 8 - 10 minutes. Add the orange rind and juice, and cook gently for 5 minutes. Add the cranberries to the saucepan with the sugar, wine vinegar, red wine vinegar and spices. Heat until just boiling and then reduce the heat. Simmer until syrupy, about 15 minutes. Pot the relish in sterilized small glass jars. Place a circle of greaseproof paper over the surface of each one, and then seal and label the jars.
** Remember to store it in the refrigerator after opening and use within 2 weeks.

rivercottage1, Sep 15, 9:59pm
hello, ive just found this recipe and keen to try. i only have dried cranberries, do you think adding these would work if i reduced the amount down say 3/4 cup or do you think i should reconsitute them first in water!

i am trying to get some nice home made gifts made now so xmas wont be so much of a headache. I already have made spicy plum sauce that should be perfect come xmas time.

thank you

nauru, Sep 16, 1:09am
Hi rivercottage1, I think that I would use half the amount ofcranberries if using dried and reconstitute themfirst.Frozen ones work out much cheaper to use than dried, I got mine from Countdown.Let me know how you go.

rivercottage1, Sep 16, 1:45am
thank you for that i had not thought of getting them frozen, i'm looking forward to this it sounds so yummy. :-)

greerg, Sep 16, 9:36am
Me too-i think I might go to Countdown in the morning.