Chutney question...

duckmoon, Dec 20, 5:29am
I had a friend who was running a fundraising stall.She had a dozen jars of chutney donated, the chutney is great, but jars were in a state.Their labels hadn't really been removed (1/2 on, 1/2 off) - and so they looked dreadful.

They were put on the stall - but because people eat with their eyes - they didn't sell.

So, I purchased them from her (coz that is what friends do).

Anyway, the chutney is fantastic.I would like to give some of it away as wee Chrissy-presents.But I am not prepared to do it in the jars as they are.

What options do I have?

duckmoon, Dec 20, 5:30am
I don't think I can remove the label with the chutney still in it.

Can I just remove them from their jars, and place them in new jars...
Or will I have to sterilised the jars....and/or re-boil the chutney...

Comments invited.

davidt4, Dec 20, 5:41am
Eucalyptus oil will remove labels.There is no need to open the jars.

duckmoon, Dec 20, 10:57pm
bumping for the day time crew!

bedazzledjewels, Dec 21, 12:30am
Are the jars really a right-off? Have you tried attacking them with hot water etc? Maybe soaking them?
Removing the chutney and re-bottling would be a last option as you'll have to do it all properly - sterilising the new jars, boiling the chutney again etc.

mica3, Dec 21, 1:30am
Try De-solv-it Usually available local supermarket in the laundary section or places like Repco. It is a citrus oil and as many uses around the house - removing sticky labels being one of them.

buzzy110, Nov 25, 3:45pm
As dazzler said, re bottling should be your last option. Best to stand jars in a bowl in warm or cool water only. Fill only till the labels are covered and leave to soak for a while. Scrape off what you can - I would use a blade scraper, knife or goldilocks. Stubborn spots will then be easily removed with de-solv-it.

This is a fantastic product. Buy it from a hardware store. It is totally natural and not, as the name implies, a harsh acid - more of a citrus oil product.

Then just wash outside of jars in warm water with detergent to remove the de-solv-it and you will have lovely clean jars.

Most people then buy some nice gingham or similar, cut into circles using a pair of shears to give a wavy edge and slip these over the lids and hold them down with a rubber band.

Don't forget to relabel including date of making (month and year is sufficient) and, if possible, the ingredients so that anyone with allergies or intolerances know what they are eating.

I made some chilli sauce and forgot to do this. I gave a jar away to someone I met off here and I'm sure she doesn't know what she has.