Help!! ran out of icing making creamcheese topping

alewis, Dec 18, 2:42am
to go on the carrot cake that feels like its taken me all day LOL!! - didnt realize I had no cinnamon so downthe shop for that, now just short of icing so my mixture is still a bit runny, I put a whole phili cream cheese and jucie of lemon have fairly much used a 1kg of icing but still to runny any tricks anyone knows please!! - thanks in advance

noonesgirl, Dec 18, 2:53am
maybe a little cornflour?

kiwitrish, Dec 18, 3:02am
Try popping it into the fridge to harden up a little.Could be the humidity that stopping it from getting firmer.

alewis, Dec 18, 3:03am
thanks does the cornflour make it taste funny?

rosewildvinyl, Dec 18, 3:07am
Did you use 'light' cream cheese?
I had the same thing happen recently using the light stuff & had to have another try with 'ordinary' cream cheese & it was OK.

rosathemad, Dec 18, 3:32am
Does your icing have butter in it? It's very hard to get firm icing with just cream cheese and icing sugar, so you might want to try softening (but not melting) some butter and beating that in. This is best beaten into the cream cheese at the beginning but it should still work so long as the butter is soft (if it's hard you'll get little lumps of butter throughout). I'd start with 50g butter for every container of cream cheese and add more if it's not stiff enough (I use about 100g per container but usually for piping on cupcakes so it needs to be stiffer). :-)

noonesgirl, Dec 18, 3:59am
Icing sugar contains cornflour.

alewis, Nov 11, 10:50pm
thank you everyone, cake was a huge success and I just kept it in the fridge until it came out, it was xmas drinks and dessert, I made another one for people that are coming tomorrow, (groans!!) very nice but soo filling!!