Cake Experts - what am I doing wrong?

clairbell, Dec 15, 11:07pm
Have got a yummo recipe for a carrot cake that a lady made at work, have tried twice but both times the middle is still runny!! My oven doesnt have fan bake, should I leave the cake at the top of the oven for the entire duration of cooking? the cake tin I have been using also is square, does that make any difference? Is it better to use a round one? Thanks everyone!

dezzie, Dec 15, 11:17pm
I'd cook it in the middle of the oven, and just leave it in for longer than she said, ovens vary a lot, maybe hers is hotter or something.
Just leave it in, and keep testing with a bamboo skewer in the middle until the skewer comes out clean.
And yes, round tins are better if you have one, because with square tins you can get problems with the corners overcooking.

lost-in-oz, Dec 16, 2:56am
Also try adding an extra 20 degrees to your oven temp cause its not fan bake

nanberrie, Dec 16, 3:10am
it does take a while to cook carrot cake, if you find the top starting to brown before the middle is cooked, put a bit of foil or baking paper over the top.

tortenz, Dec 16, 3:38am
I wouldn't put the temperature up if its cooked on the outside, as that would cook the outside quicker and possibly burn.I would do as nanberrie said and just leave it in longer and cover with foil if getting too dark

Keep testing with a skewer until you know it's cooked.

lynnec, Dec 16, 3:45am
Hi.. OK try cooking the cake on the middle rack in the oven. I wouldn't turn the heat up; I would leave it at around 150-170 and cook for longer.. over an hour. Also you can use a 'Ring Mould' (a cake tin with a hole in the centre) cake tin which will eliminate the problem totally!! lol :) Good Luck

macandrosie, Nov 3, 5:54am
Just checked an Alison Holst recipe that is 2 cups flour recipe. She cooks it at 180°c for 45 mins to an hour. When you think it's close to ready, insert a skewer into the centre & leave there for the count of 5 (count 1 and 2 and 3 and...)