My MIL used to make a beautiful sultana cake

gerry64, Dec 15, 5:13am
all my old recipies didnt make it over here to Oz so hope someone maybe able to help me - the sultanas were simmered and then the butter was cut in to them - had almond and other essence -anyone able to help please

mallee, Dec 15, 5:15am
Why not ask M-I-L gerry?

gardie, Dec 15, 5:27am
400-500 g sultanas
Cover with water and simmer for 10 mins.Drain off most of the water and put in 225grams diced butter, 1 cup sugar, 1 tsp each of almond, lemon, vanilla essence and stir till butter melts.
Lightly beat 3 eggs and add with 1 3/4cups flour and 1 tsp baking powder.Put into tin.
Optional topping - chopped nuts and cherries sprinkled over cake before baking.
20cm square tin for 45-50 mins at 180 C.As soon as taken from over, squeeze over the juice of 1/2 a lemon (optional but yummy).
We sold heaps of these in our coffee shop.(We'd cut each one into 9 huge peices)

gerry64, Dec 15, 5:52am
would love to but she is no longer around - thanks gardie that is it

misilon, Dec 15, 6:52am
Yummy gardie, gonna make this 2 moro. I did a huge shopping spree at bin inn yesterday, loads a baking ingredients,.so Ill be looking thru these pages for a bit,.thanks

lisapisa2, Dec 15, 7:17am
500g sultanas, 3 eggs, 3 c flour, 1 t baking powder, 1 t almond essence, 250g butter, 1 & 1/2 c castor sugar.
Boil sultanas in sufficient water to cover for 8 mins. Strain off water & cut butter into hot sultanas. Beat eggs with sugar until creamy, add to sultanas & butter.
Sift in flour & b powder, add essence. Put into lined tin & bake at 160 for about 1 & 1/2 hours. Check after 1 hour.
My mum always made this & it's yummy. Also good with some lemon or orange rind instead of essence.

mcgeown, Dec 15, 7:29am
i have this recipe and it includes 2tbls of marmalade.

gerry64, Dec 15, 9:27am
will try it with the marmalade - cheers everybody -it is a lovely cake

nzbadger, Dec 15, 10:22am
Sultana Cake

450 gms Sultanas
250 gms Butter
250 gms Sugar
350 gms Flour
3 Eggs
1 tsp Baking Powder
2 tsps Vanilla Essence

Put sultanas into a saucepan & just cover with water. Bring to boil & boil 5 mins.

Cut butter into a bowl, add sugar.

Strain sultanas & add to butter & Sugar. Stir well. (can still be hot) Retain liquid.

Add beaten eggs & dry ingredients that have been sifted.

Add Vanilla essence.

Add ¼ cup of the sultana juice.

Mix well.

8 inch square tin. 1 ¼ hrs – 1 ½ hrs at 150 C

510, Nov 1, 1:05am
Yesterday i bought a couple of small 11 cm spring tins.How long would I bake them in that size or if I did them in a large muffin tin.I am doing some hampers for Xmas gifts & want to make a smalle cake to go in each one.