Glazing Ham

fisher, Dec 14, 3:05am
Method One.. Ham is grilled
Peel or cut off the brown skin from a "cooked" ham... Remove as much of the fat as you like or all of it.
Either score through the fat, nearly to the meat, making diamond shapes, or if you have removed all fat, leave the surface unscored. Brush surface with a glaze ...
Heat 1/2 cup brown sugar, with 1 cup orange or pineapple juice. Pour on ham..Pat on to it a mixture of equal parts of fine dry breadcrumbs and brown sugar...
Put the ham under the grill so that its upper surface is 15-20 cm away from the heat.. Grill until the sugar bubbles and the surface becomes crunchy, turning the ham as necessary.. Take care not to brush off the brown sugar-crumbed surface.. Decorate with pineapple pieces and/or cherries on toothpicks, and/or cloves, and if desired brush again with glaze and brown under the grill again.. Wrap knuckle end in a paper frill if you like...

Method Two ..Ham is baked only at 180c
Peel or cut off the brown skin from a "cooked" ham. Remove as much of the fat as you like or all of it.
Either score through the fat, nearly to the meat, making diamond shapes, or if you have removed all fat, leave the surface unscored .
Much the same method. but using~2 x tbsp whole seed mustard..1/4 cup julienne or finely grated ginger.. 1 cup brown sugar.. 330mls DARK beer..
Combine mustard ginger and sugar in a bowl with just enough beer to form a thick paste... Set aside...
Pour rest of beer over ham in roasting dish, bake for 40mins basting halfway through... Now smear paste all over the ham and bake for 30 mins more basting as required...

Method Three..Ham is baked only at 160c
Remove skin of ham.. Score ham in a diamond pattern about 1/4 in deep.. Decorate with pineapple rings held onto the ham with toothpicks, with cherries inside the rings...
Boil together 2 cups brown sugar, 1 cup pineapple juice, 1/2 tsp dry mustard... Place a wide layer of foil over bottom and sides of a roasting dish (it stops the glaze sticking onto the dish). Place ham in and pour glaze evenly over the top.
Put lid on, or foil over top. Place in oven at 160 C and bake 20 minutes per kilo...Baste with glaze every 10 minutes or as required.
Merry Xmas

mallee, Oct 26, 6:54am
Believe it or not fisher, one Christmas I bought a ham for the family. Scored it, popped whole cloves in the scores, then glazed it. It was only after I pulled it out of the oven I thought somethings not right here. I puzzled over it for a few minutes, when hubby looks over my shoulder and said "Darling, it pays to remove the skin" Deeerrrr! I can't even use the excuse of being a new cook. Some hubbies do av em!