Gluten free and chocolate question?

nik12, Dec 14, 2:18am
I'm going to make cupcakes from this recipe, which I had and is lovely.. but do I have to be careful what chocolate chips I buy??

Gluten Free Banana choc chip cake
4 Bananas
1 cup milk
1 cup brown sugar
½ cup oil
2 eggs
½ teaspoon vanilla essence
1/3 cup gluten substitute (orgran brand from new world)
2/3 cup potato flour
1 cup maize cornflour
½ cup cocoa
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1+ cup choc chips (more the better!!)
8 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda

1. Mash or blend up bananas with the rest of the wet ingredients + sugar – mix till smooth
2. Sift dry ingredients together and mix well
3. Add wet ingreds to dry and mix well
4. spoon into muffin tins (or cake tin) about 1/3 – ¾ full.
5. Bake at 180⁰C for 30-35 mins for muffins or 40mins for cakes.
We make 12 muffins and a cake out of this size batch which is doubled and a bit altered from another recipe so would prob make 24 – 30 cupcakes depending on the size of the paper/tins.

rosathemad, Dec 14, 2:55am
Yes - I haven't looked at chocolate chips in the baking aisle but there's a good chance they are manufactured on machinery that processes products with gluten in them. However, they have to state if this is the case. It also depends whether your cake is for someone very sensitive or not - many people who are gluten intolerant are okay with "may contain traces of" or "processed on equipment which also processes". If you're not sure though best to get something that you know is safe.

nik12, Oct 26, 1:42am
Cool thanks.I'm pretty sure he's right with 'may contain traces of', and he often has a wee bit of ham without worrying where it's from.
I've looked at the one's I've got and they do say 'produced on the same equiptment as'.