Getting a 'high' cake

jaci1, Mar 2, 3:26am
Sorry for the odd title, but I'm wondering how to get a 'high' risen cake. My cakes are normally fairly flat. Do I need to double the recipe, use a smaller tin, use Self Raising Flour - as opposed to 'normal' flour? Just wondering how you get those nice big cakes in cafes! TIA :)

margyr, Mar 2, 4:01am
make more mixture and also i always put more baking powder than in recipe. also a smaller tin may help.

guest, Mar 2, 5:29am
If you are making a sponge, drop the mixture in the tin on the floor a few times, before putting it in the oven .. it helps make it rise further than normal.

hestia, Mar 2, 5:59am
Add one more egg to the recipe?

It's worth a try.

duckmoon, Mar 2, 10:12am
I use a 20cm tin - for recipes which call for a 24cm tin, I line with baking paper (on the bottom as normal) and around the sides, but have the paper higher than the side of the tin.
As the cake rises, the baking paper supports the cake until cooked. But take care you don't over flow even this.

lynja, Mar 2, 6:22pm
interesting as i often wonder if the recipes have been doubled. i have started to use a smaller swiss roll type slice tin now which means that the slices are thicker and look better. i am sure that when they take the photos of cakes and slices etc they have either doubled the recipe or used smaller tins.

rainrain1, Mar 2, 7:05pm
You could always add some marijuana leaves... ...

stormbaby, Mar 2, 7:09pm
I must admit, I clicked onto the thread thinking it was some ace recipe for "brownies"! ! Sometimes its a matter of beating air into the cake mix to make it rise, sometimes its matter of not! I used to have aweful trouble with flat cakes, but I always line my tins with brown paper now (I buy the plain pack lunch bags from the supermarket, cut them and a pack lasts over a year) and it has helped. I use my Mum's old Sunbeam mixer circa 1950's and beat the heck out of the mixtures nowadays and seem to have better results. But don't ask me to make a sponge or a pav, I am a failure!

sarahw2, Mar 2, 8:34pm
Haha! made me smile. .

dbab, Mar 3, 2:47am
Make sure you give your baking powder a good stir or shake before using it as it can settle, and you might not be using enough. Sift it with your flour too.

preciouspaige, Mar 3, 3:51am
The best thing is to invest in a really good mixer. If your cake isnt rising high enough probably your tin is to big for the mixture or your not beating the butter and sugar enough to start with.

vinee, Sep 26, 7:50am
If it's a real special occasion, buy it from marks and spencers!
Quote from calendar girls!