Arancini:do I *need* a deep fryer (can I use wok?)

sumstyle, Dec 10, 11:10pm
(I have used the search box and only one reference to arancini (even before I could see the poster's name I thought it sounded like cooksessentials :-) I was right!)

Anyway, I saw this made on tv a coupla years ago and I have a recipe now, but it says to use a deep fryer, which I don't have, and my stove elements don't get hot enough.So I was wondering whether I could use my electric wok?

Or is it important the the balls don't touch the sides?

Appreciate any feedback or suggestions.

cookessentials, Dec 10, 11:47pm
You will need about 5cm of oil for these,so you can use your wok or a saucepan if you wish. I LOVE arancini and have it whenever we go to La Bella Italia in Petone.

suzanna, Dec 10, 11:53pm
Hi and welcome to the arancini club! I make them alot but have a deep fryer which really does give an even cook without drying out one side. If you google arancini there are heaps of recipes and you may well find that there is reference to not having to use a deep fryer. Did you make the risotto from scratch....it is sooo worth it. Mmmm it's lunchtime and aracini sounds good..if only I had some...sigh. Btw I make a huge batch as they freeze really well.

sumstyle, Dec 11, 12:11am
Thanks you two.Yes I will be making the risotto from scratch...but now not today cos it's gloriously hot and I prefer it to be cooler weather when I have to be standing by a stove stirrin!

Your mention of the freezer is a good tip suzanna, and now I remember it was probably three Top Chef sessions ago where they also froze it and used it the next day (which appeals leading up to Christmas).

Yay, I love holidays when more family are around to experiment on with new recipes!

kirinesha, Oct 15, 3:56pm
We always used our wok. They are delicious :)