Jam Help Please

tash1172, Dec 8, 7:24am
Hi, I'm new here so please be gentle with me :)
I've just taken 3.5kg of plums out of my freezer to make room for this years crop.
I'd love to be able to make some jam and give it to my friends as a little stocking filler for Christmas, but have NO IDEA what to do.
I've tried looking at old threads, but there are sooooo many, it's overwhelming.
So, can anyone please help me with a recipe for nice black doris plum jam, which I plan to make tomorrow.
Thanks for your time, and doubly thanks again if you reply :)

tash1172, Dec 8, 7:25am
Oh, and I burn water, so the easier the better !
Thanks again :)

jessie981, Dec 8, 8:02am
tash, we're kind here. Recipe from Aunt Daisy. (hope you know how to convert measurements)
Plum Jam
3lb firm plums
3 breakfast cups water
5 breakfast cups sugar.
Put fruit & water in pot & cook till plums are soft. Add sugar & boil till a little triedin cold water will set. Remove stones as they rise to the surface. Cool before bottling.

Plum Jam (2)
5lb plums
1 pint water
6lb sugar
juice of 2 - 3 lemons
Boil plums 20 mins, add 1/2 sugar & boil another 20 mins. Add remainder of sugar & lemon juice & boil 3/4hr or till set.
Add a knob of butter to obviate scum & remove any stones.

greerg, Dec 8, 8:07am
My recipe uses equal quantities of plums and sugar.Simmer the plums with a cup of water for every 2 kg of plums for an hour, or until the fruit is very soft and the liquid has been reduced by about two-thirds. Reduce the heat, add the sugar and stir until it has dissolved completely. Increase the heat, then add the butter and stir until it has melted.Bring the jam to a full rolling boil and boil rapidly for 15 minutes, then test it by putting a little on a saucer in the fridge for a few minutes.If a skin forms when you push the jam with your finger its Ok.If not boil for a little longer and try again.Remove from the heat and use a slotted spoon to skim off the stones which will rise to the surface.Bottle in sterilised jars while hot.

tash1172, Oct 7, 3:07pm
Thanks so much :) Watch out friends, I'm coming a calling !