Farmhouse loaf... with all the grains etc

superstitious, Dec 3, 8:10pm
anyone got a recipe? id LOVE to make a loaf full of goodness that fills you up more than white bread (and the kids!).

does anyone have one?

wildflower, Dec 4, 3:17am
There's a great no knead seed loaf in Alison Holsts new bread book, has rolled oats, all wholemeal flour and 3 types of seed in it though I find you can vary and add whatever seeds you like.

crystalmoon, Dec 9, 12:50am
mmm wildflower do you have the recipe,that sounds very yummy.

wildflower, Dec 9, 3:45am
It's a really long recipe, I'll try to get it typed up tomorrow when I've more time.I've been making it weekly now and love it.

crystalmoon, Dec 9, 5:20am
cool,thanks wildflower,it sounds really yum:)

wildflower, Dec 10, 3:31am
"No Knead" Heavy Brown Loaf with Seeds - Alison and Simon Holst

For a 1200-1300kg loaf:
1/4c each oats, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds and linseeds (I used pumpkin seeds too)
1/2c hot water
2 tsp of instant active yeast
2 c lukewarm water
2 T of golden syrup (or 1 syrup, 1 molasses)
2 T oil
4-5 c wholemeal flour
2 tsp salt

Turn the oven to 190 C and put a rack just above the middle.
Prepare the mixed grains.Put oats and seeds in a fairly large, dry frying pan.Heat the pan, stirring and shaking until the contents have browned lightly and have a "toasted" aroma.Take the pan off the stove and stir in the hot, but not boiling, water.Leave the mixture to stand until nearly all the water has been absorbed.

Put the yeast, lukewarm water, golden syrup (or syrup and molasses) and oil in a bowl and put this aside in a warm place for at least 10 min until frothy.

While the yeast mix stands, measure 4 c of the flour and salt into a large bowl.

Next, tip the yeast mix and seeds into the flour and salt.Stir well until everything is evenly mixed.The mix should be just too soft to knead, but not runny.If it is too wet, add up to a cup of the extra flour, until the dough is just firm enough to form a cylinder.Transfer to a sprayed and floured bread tin and push into corners to get a even shaped loaf.

Cover with film or a plastic bag and leave to rise in a warm place until the dough is almost double its size (1/2 to 1 hour).

Put the risen loaf into the preheated oven and bake for about 40 min.It won't rise any more.The turned out loaf should sound hollow when tapped.Cool on a rake.When cold, wrap and refrigerate overnight then slice.Use within 3 days.

(I cut it into pieces and freeze, just thawing a section in the pantry as needed)

wildflower, Dec 12, 3:23am
Bumping for crystalmoon.