Help please my jam is not setting

ruger2, Dec 3, 12:37am
have made 4 berry jam and its not as thick as it should be, ive bottled the jam, is there any method i could use to thicken it whilst its in its jars? otherwise do i need to reboil add sugar and rebottle? thankyou inadvance im kinda new to this,

cgvl, Sep 24, 5:03pm
1st did you boil it long enough originally. 2nd did you add the right amount of sugar. Both are what helps jams set.
2 things you can do is reboil adding the juice of a lemon or jam setting mix from the supermarket.
or
Add gelatin to the jars, you wont need much. Use 1 satchet of gelatin to ½cup water and dissolve, then add about a tsp to each jar this should help it set.

Jam's need to be rapidly boiled for at least 10minutes after adding the sugar and some can take as long as 30mins to get to setting point. It all depends on how ripe the fruit is you started with. It pays to have some fruit in the mix that aren't fully ripe and to add the juice of 1-2 lemons. I add 1-2 stalks of rhubarb to my jams to help them set.
Check setting point by spooning some onto a saucer and into freezer for a few minutes, if it forms a wrinkly skin it is ready to bottle. Others have other methods of testing for readiness.