Cookessentials

macwood2, Nov 25, 4:11am
I need a nice rub for a large piece of beef (porterhouse).Either a rub or a marinade.I have to cook it for Sunday.Any recipe that springs to mind?I would appreciate it!!

cookessentials, Sep 3, 1:45pm
I have a nice spicy rub that I use on an eye fillet, but I guess there is no reason why you could notuse it on a piece of porterhouse.

Spicy Rub

3 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
1 tablespoon fennel seeds
1/4 teaspoon chilli flakes
3 tablespoons olive oil
large pinch of salt
1/2 cup beef stock
1/2 cup Madeira

Place garlic, fennel, chilli, olive oil and salt in a mortar and pestle. Pound slightly to form a paste. Rub into the beef and set aside to marinate for a few hours.

Heat a medium sized frying pan to hot. Sear beef on all sides. Place in a baking tray. Drop the temperature to 120C and roast for 1 hour and 15 minutes for rare. Remove from the oven and set aside to rest for 30 minutes.
Pour the beef stock and Madeira into the pan, along with any of the juices from the rested beef. Simmer for a couple of minutes. Remove the string and slice the beef. Serve the beef with the jus and the roasted potatoes.

You will get Madeira at a bottle store. I serve this with Rosemary potatoes.
Rosemary Potatoes:
1kg potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon chopped rosemary
8 cloves garlic, skin still on

While meat is roasting, place potatoes in a large pot of cold water. Bring to the boil. Drain and pat dry.

Place potatoes in a roasting pan, toss through olive oil, rosemary and garlic. Salt well. Bake for 1 hour.

Bear in mind that the temps and cooking time are for an eye fillet of beef of about 750g.