SALMON.

kitcheno, Nov 22, 8:11pm
I've been thinking of fish as a possible Xmas meal. Any ideas of ways to cook and present Salmon, and what to serve with it?

nzl99, Nov 22, 8:16pm
You could do could bake it whole, in pastry shaped like a fish...?Cut out little scales etc?

Or make a paella type dish...

Glaze it with lime and maple?

Serve it with a creamy lemon and caper sauce...?

Salmon is quite rich, so I would serve it with something lighter like a salad... baby potatoes with fresh herbs... baby peas... how about I just say a medley of baby veges? :P

valentino, Nov 22, 8:42pm
Salmon can be too much, that is a good size of salmon like a wee steak size to some is quite filling and as the previous poster noted, the need to have something light is the best way to compliment a good meal.

Recently did some Salmon teryaki style served with a Japanese Spinach salad ( made with baby spinach leaves ) and was more than enough as a meal.

Now for a real nice Christmas treat, one would do the salmon smaller size like about 150 to 200 grams at the most per adult to allow room for a few other treats and to spread the eating further to allow good digesting and all the rest.

One also need to think of desserts and other side nibbles too but really all depends on how many are dining and some preference given to others especially the young ones.

Hopes this helps.

Cheers.

lizab, Nov 22, 8:58pm
here's a link from foodtv for roast mustard salmon ...
http://foodtv.co.nz/9-27-581/recipe/Roast-Mustard-Salmon

davidt4, Nov 22, 9:03pm
It depends on how many people you are feeding, but a whole side of salmon baked and served cool is an easy and impressive thing, either at a sit-down meal or as part of a buffet.Let me know if you would like details.

talent.scout, Nov 22, 9:17pm
agree with this and poster #2.Whole Salmon can be very impressive, if you are doing buffet style meal.Love the pastry presentation idea.

I would add the Salmon to the menu to compliment other meats...... not replace.Not everyone likes fish.

As for me...... Id eat Salmon no matter how it is cooked!<3yum!

gerry64, Nov 22, 10:08pm
tea smoked is easy and delicious -

waterlilies, Nov 22, 10:12pm
Wrapped in tinfoil with lots of mint and lemon stuffed in the cavity, ooohhhhh now that's what I want for lunch...

ribzuba, Nov 22, 10:35pm
nicoise salad, beetroot feta orange and olive salad (sounds weird but is delicious!)

bisloy, Nov 22, 11:26pm
Anything tangy goes well with salmon - to offset it's richness. Also plain potatoes and good bread. I like to just pan fry my salmon, to caramelise the outside, still raw in the middle, but heated through. Then I drizzle over light soy sauce and sprinkle some chopped chives on top and serve with a simple baby lettuce salad; with carrot, tomato and celery; plain boiled potoatoes and bread and butter. What helps to bring it all together is raspberry vinegarette - but not on the salmon!

gavin166, Aug 27, 9:48pm
Yup.
Whatever you do don't overcook it!
I like to panfry also, and either glaze or sprinkle with (cringe) Tuscan Seasoning, from a jar! Yum!

Cold salmon side... mmm, with lemony mayo with capers in it, fresh bread... heaven