Sending cakes =)

blonde_babee, Nov 17, 12:25am
I want to send my sister a cake for her birthday. But I have never done this before, how would I package it? and who would be the best option to go through?

blonde_babee, Nov 17, 12:45am
anyone? please, I want to know how to package it to send so I can get it sorted tomorrow =)

tortenz, Nov 17, 2:08am
Hmm... I make and sell cakes, but wouldn't send them.

If you were going to, I'd write 'FRAGILE' and 'CAKE' all over the box, take it to a courier company, and hope for the best..

greerg, Nov 17, 2:30am
I have had no trouble couriering them to the kids when they were in Dunedin.Use the lid of a solid container as a base then fit the rest of the container over it.Make sure the container is reasonably snug.Place in a box well padded with shredded paper, polysyrene packing or even wadded paper.Label obviously "This side up" and "fragile".I have always used NZ couriers and must have sent 30 or more over the last seven years without a single disaster.

chicco2, Nov 17, 2:46am
I make and sometimes send cakes. My advice... use a good keeping solid cake, find or make a strong cardboard box, you can simply cut through a box and simply slide the cut off end back on the box. Make sure the box s a good tight fit. Use heaps of packing tape. Put your cake on a board that is a little bigger than the cake. Place a piece of nonslip mat in the box so the cake board sits on it. Make a window in the top of your box by cutting a square out and cover it with cellophane, that way the courier can see inside. Label it well and allow an extra day incase delivery is held up. Good luck Im sure your Sister will be delighted.

rosathemad, Aug 13, 1:51am
I have sent un-iced cakes by making a box out of a few cereal boxes cut to size and firmly taped up, then wrapped in paper and just in the post (well, fast post). Worked for me. :-)