Kombucha, green tea bags in drink for 1 hour??????

sven38, Nov 9, 6:52am
I slipped up and left the tea bags in my kombucha brew for 1 hour,is it still fine to feed my Kombucha plant with this brew? I have heard that you shouldn't leave your teabag soaking for any more than 5 minutes then it begins to release toxins.People who use kombucha say you can leave the tea bagin for 15 Minutes. So does it matter how long?

If you dont know what Kombucha is here is a link to Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kombucha

really all I need to know is does Green tea go bad if you leave the tea bags in to long?

accroul, Nov 9, 7:28am
I'm still alive & I leave the tea bag in the drink while I sip away at it & a cup can last over an hour! don't know how it would affect Kombucha though sorry.

sven38, Nov 9, 8:30am
Thanks accroul, My family still feel a little nervous feeding it this tea, can anyone give the family a little more confidence. Thanks Jason

lenart, Nov 10, 7:35am
Hi Jason, I use organic green tea and normally steep it until it cools down to room temperature which may take a few hours. Never tried it with tea bags though, only leaf tea. I am sure that nothing will happen if you leave tea bags for an hour, I read that quite a few people doing that and it makes it better. Cheers. Elena

uli, Nov 10, 8:07am
The kombucha is basically a glorified mother of vinegar - so it feeds on the huge amount of sugar you put in. The tea is there solely for taste reasons - otherwise you'd find you sip a sweet version of vinegar... if you leave it to brew for a few weeks it actually will turn into vinegar :)

lenart, Nov 10, 8:00pm
And if you brew it just for a week and then bottle and leave for a secondary fermentation in bottles for another 3-4 weeks it becomes very bubbly "vinegar" :)
http://ooooby.ning.com/photo/kombucha-tea?context=user

bidz, Nov 10, 9:20pm
I love Kombucha.If anyone reading this is in Christchurch, at the Riccarton market Earthwise Gourmet do the best Kombucha.Absolutely delicious; I would describe it as a cross between apple cider and ginger beer.

sven38, Jul 28, 11:53am
Thanks everyone I will feed it the tea, I always thought you were feeding the Kombucha with tea and just sweetening it up a bit with sugar.Thanks Jason