How do I make Brazilian dish called Feijoada ?

mandy1968, Nov 8, 9:14pm
does anyone here know ? has anyone made it?

cookessentials, Nov 8, 9:18pm
No I have not made it. Have you checked the internet for an authentic recipe?

mandy1968, Nov 8, 9:21pm
Have found Brazilian recipes but mention quarts and American ingredients

cookessentials, Nov 8, 9:25pm
Here is a link to Salient, a NZ site with a recipe.

http://www.salient.org.nz/columns/recipe-feijoada-completa

cookessentials, Nov 8, 9:26pm
Here it is for anyones interest.

Feijoada
500g black beans (found in bulk bins – also called ‘black turtle beans’)
1 can refried black beans (found in organic section). If you can’t find refried black beans, refried beans from the Mexican section at the supermarket are fine.
2 Bay leaves
2T Olive Oil
1 Onion, diced
2 cloves Garlic, crushed
Salt and Pepper
2T Cumin
3t ground chilli (or more, to taste)
One orange, cut into quarters
Optional, for carnivorous version: enough meat for six people – a variety of pork cuts, pork sausage, chorizo, etc. The beauty of making a stew like this is that cheaper cuts of meat will become more tender cooked this way.

The night before: Place the black beans in a large bowl, and cover with 1.5L boiling water.
The next evening, drain the beans and place in a large saucepan with the bay leaves. Add enough water to cover the beans 1.5 times. Simmer on a medium heat for 90 minutes, making sure that there is water covering the beans. When the beans are ready, sauté the onions and garlic in olive oil. (If you are adding meat, cut it into bite-sized pieces and fry now too.) When the onion becomes soft, season with salt, pepper and spices.
Drain the beans, but keep the liquid they were cooked in! Add beans with 2C of the liquid to the onion/spice mix. Stir in the can of refried beans, and simmer for a further 30 minutes.
Test the stew and season to taste. Before serving, squeeze the orange over the stew. Although this sounds strange, it adds an interesting kick to the meal.
Serve with rice, greens, farofa, and chilli sauce.

cookessentials, Nov 10, 3:38am
No problems mandy1968, would love to know how it turns out.

rsr72, Nov 10, 3:41am
The meat is essential. Not Feijoada without it.
And always eaten on Saturdays.

ribzuba, Jul 26, 11:00am
this is a recipe from a traditional brazilian cookbook of mine, it calls for green beans but i recall only having it with brown or black (brown being more delicious!!!)
350g green beans
100g grilling steak
2 tbsp butter
1 clove of garlic
1 red onion finely diced
150g cubed rennet cheese
chilli to season

Cook the onion garlic and meat, add th beans and water, cook down until the sauce thickens slightly, add the cheese and chilli and salt if you like, serve with white rice and farofa.if you need a farofa recipe i have one too.also if you serve with it a side of really small fatty sausages is perfect!