Tangelo recipes please

samsnan, Nov 5, 1:26am
I have been given a big bag of tangelos. I read somewhere that you can make a sort of marmalade. Yes I have tried the search to the left and nothing there. Anyone got any ideas?

cookessentials, Nov 5, 1:46am
Tangelo Jam

1.5 kg tangelos (approx 8-9)
3 litres (12 cups) water
1 Tbs tartaric acid (cream of tartar)
2 lemons, halved
1.4 kg sugar, or the same weight of liquid to sugar

Remove the zest from the tangelos using a zester, and wrap in muslin cloth or a clean chux cloth. Set aside until required.
Cut the tangelos into quarters and process in a food processor until finely chopped (a little rough is fine).
Place the tangelo mixture into a saucepan, along with the wrapped zest, water, tartaric acid and lemon halves. Cook for 1/2 hour or until zest is soft. Remove the zest in the bag and set aside.
Continue to cook the mixture for a further 1 1/2 hours.
Once the tangelo mixture has cooked for a total of 2 hours, strain mixture reserving the liquid.
Return the liquid to the heat, empty the contents from the muslin bag into the liquid, add the sugar and continue to cook the jam for a further 40-50 minutes.
Test for setting by spooning a little onto a chilled saucer. Continue cooking until the marmalade reaches setting point. Allow to stand for 5 minutes then pour into sterilized jars. Seal when cold.

samsnan, Nov 5, 1:57am
Thanks cook there does not seem to be many recipes around for tangelos.

samsnan, Nov 5, 2:26am
I have just googled it and quite a few came up so will be busy over the weekend.

cookessentials, Nov 5, 3:13am
I also have one for a tangelo cake, a tangelo and poppyseed cake and a tangelo cheesecake slice.

samsnan, Nov 5, 3:25am
Yes please for them all cooks.

cookessentials, Nov 5, 3:41am
Ok, will get them when I am home tonight.

gavin166, Jul 15, 6:46am
I use tangelo juice/zest in cupcakes. Nothing like butter cream icing scented with tangelo!