I have an unopened packet of fresh phyllo pastry

gerry64, Oct 20, 1:09am
As it has not been frozen already can I freeze part of the packet - it is too much for the two of us but I wonder whether I should make up the whole lot and freeze whatever or can I freeze the pastry successfully -cheers

pericles, Oct 20, 1:13am
filo freezes

gerry64, Oct 20, 1:15am
thanks pericles -

cookessentials, Oct 20, 1:25am
Just take what you need and freeze the rest. When thawing it however, thaw it slowly in the fridge as Filo pastry is very delicate.

gerry64, Oct 20, 2:19am
will do -

elliehen, Oct 20, 5:00am
Mine keeps well in the fridge for the length of its Best Before date as long as I completely seal the open end of the plastic.

elliehen, Oct 20, 5:12am
gerry64 - here's something to make with four to six sheets:

FILO FRUIT ROLL

Mix:
2 apples, peeled & grated
grated rind & juice of 1 lemon
4 Tblsp currants
2 Tblsp raisins
2 Tblsp sultanas
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp mixed spice
1/2 tsp grated nutmeg

Place filo sheets one on top of each other with a light spray of cooking oil in between (or brush with melted butter)
Place fruit mix along the near edge and roll into a long narrow roll with ends turned in like a parcel.

Bake 15 mins at 220* C, covering it with a foil tent for the last 5 mins to prevent burning.

Dust with icing sugar and cut into pieces to serve when cold.This tastes like a fruit mince tart, without the added sugar and fat.

gerry64, Jun 12, 6:52pm
off to get some dried fruit elliehen - thank you - not sure if you are getting the series of Junior masterchef over there hope you do a little boy does some amazing things with phyllo and fruit