Fruit and Veggie shops

marble.b, Oct 20, 12:47am
In South Africa there are some huge shops just selling fruit and veggies.You walk in and pick your stuff, pay for it and hand it to the processing dept.They ask you how you want it (even chip potatoes - which they process to not turn brown) and it is all peeled and chopped for you free of charge.Their prices are the lowest in town.I hate peeling pumpkin so this was great for me.Do you think this would work in NZ?

ttwisty, Oct 20, 12:52am
possibly, but i prefer to cut up my own veges

papariccardo, Oct 20, 12:58am
Price dictates everything. If you are able to beat Fruit World, you should succeed. The processing is value-added, but not really the sole reason for buying there. I want my asparagus, avos, toms & lettuce left alone, thanks!

uli, Oct 20, 1:08am
If you find employees who work for that price - chopping and peeling - that was paid in South Africa then it might work I guess.

Also if the customers do not mind losing quite a bit of freshness and vitamins while the chopped stuff sits and waits to be cooked - but then you could simply sell some vitamin pills with it?

cookessentials, Oct 20, 1:27am
Ignore the odd comment above..it's typical of this particular poster. Yes, it could work for those that hate the preparation of food. If they are going to be eating it the day they buy it,then i see no problem....it MAy be something that catches on,however, do plenty of research first.

nfh1, Oct 20, 1:36am
I would love someone to chop up my pumpkins.

kay141, Jun 11, 7:09pm
Pak n Save down here do have some prepared vegetables. They are in packs usually labelled soup, stirfry etc and are a mixture. Don't know what the prices are like as I never notice. I used to work for a company that prepared veges for hospitals etc. The waste can beastronomical and needs to included in the price. I found the preparation staff did not take as much care as you would at home and just chopped.