Camp Cooking on one gas ring

dlmckay, Oct 17, 10:05am
I'm off camping for five days next week... I'm looking for one pot, 15 mins cooking time recipes to feed two adults...

So far, I've come up with fajitas and a stir fry... now I'm stuck.

Any good ideas?TIA

245sam, Oct 17, 10:21am
Here's a quick and easy one for you dlmckay.....

OUTDOORS STEW
potatoes (the number required dependent on potato size and the number of people to be served)
1-2 onions
1 or 2 x 440g can(s) baked beans
1 x 340g can corned beef, trimmed of any fat and cut into chunky pieces

Peel the potatoes and cut them into even-sized chunky pieces.Put the potatoes on to cook in water to just cover them, then chop the onion(s) into chunky pieces and add them to the potatoes.Boil until the potatoes are just half cooked, then pour off most of the water.To the almost cooked potatoes and onions add the baked beans and the corned beef.Allow the mixture to bubble gently for 10 minutes, then serve – as is, with tomato sauce and/or grated cheese.

:-))

dbab, Oct 17, 7:16pm
Rice Risotto is good. You can make a basic packet of this and add veges etc with a little more water.

valentino, Oct 17, 9:06pm
If possible, take a hotplate otherwise a frypan or wok, opens up a range of things one can do.

cookessentials, Oct 17, 9:07pm
BEEF AND BEAN CASSEROLE

2 tbsp butter
750g minced steak ( I use premium mince)
1 lge onion,finely chopped
1x 425g can of chopped tomatoes
1 cup hot beef stock ( I use a Maggi Beef stock dissolved in boiling water)
125g pasta - I use the curly pasta-often the tri-colour
1/2 tsp dried mixed herbs
1 tsp chilli powder ( I use about half as it can be pretty hot with 1tsp)
1 tbsp worcestershire sauce ( Lea & Perrins if you have it)
1x can baked beans

Melt butter in large saucepan (I use my smaller stock pot) and brown the meat and onion. Stir in all the remaining ingredients except the baked beans. Mix together well and simmer with lid on for 30 mins or so,stirring occasionally. Add a little more water if necessary. When pasta is tender and meat is cooked, add the baked beans and stire through. Heat through gently and serve.

smileeah, Jun 7, 11:04am
Tuna and pasta, hot potato salad, spaghetti and pasta sauce, omelette, scrambled eggs. I read in a camping book recently that cheese will keep for quite a while if you wrap it in a cloth soaked in vinegar.:)