Rowan berry jelly

hazelnut2, Oct 17, 8:03am
Has anyone ever made this using berries found on the rowan trees in nz?

beaker59, Oct 17, 9:32am
A russian friend does and likes the result but I haven't tasted it so can't comment personally I did try a raw one off the tree is tasted pretty aweful to me.

wineo, Oct 20, 8:01pm
I have never made this particulat jelly/jam but have made many many jelly's using fruit. I prepare everyone the same, just cover fruit with wate, bring to boil and cook till mushy, place all of itin jelly bag or through cheesecloth let drip over night next day, measure liquid, add equal quantities of sugar to liquid. Do Not add suagar until liquid has boiled, then add. All fruits take a different time to jel, so after 20 to 30 mins I would take a little out and place on saucer if it jels fine, if not boil for a little longer. Good Luck

elliehen, Oct 20, 11:17pm
I currently have a Japonica Jelly.During WWII women used to gather rose hips to make a high Vitamin C syrup to dilute with water for their babies.

beaker59, Oct 21, 11:18am
I used to have a red guava tree I miss that jelly.

beaker59, Oct 21, 11:20am
Rose Hip syrup mum used to make that she would note where the climbing roses were at the sides of the roads as we travelled and then go back later when apropriate and collect the ripe hips.

macandrosie, Jun 18, 3:02am
Found this on google, I thought they were poisonous!
The belief that the berries of the mountains ash or Rowan are poisonous is extremely persistent. The truth is that when they are red they taste bitter and, rather like sloes (the fruit of blackthorn); cause the mucous membrane of the mouth to pucker up. In addition, no one wants to eat many of them because they are very capable of giving one a dreadful and very painful stomach ache or diarrhoea. If however, the berries are cooked, the astringent materials are destroyed, and it is possible to make as delicious jam as with more common fruits. After a frost, the Rowan berries taste sweeter.
In conclusion, the Rowan berry is not poisonous, but it is capable of making a person very sick at their stomach. If they are handled correctly and cooked properly, then they can be used to make a very tasty jam that is good on toast and crackers.