Choc mousse where did i go wrong help please

missmad, Oct 17, 7:05am
as soon as i added the egg yolk to the melted choc it went immediately to a thick grainy lump, now the choc was not to hot as was heated in a bowl of warm water and i mixed the yolk in real quick, this is the second time it happened and im not sure why as i followed the recipie to a tee. it said to add the egg yolk to the choc mix and stir in till smooth. i ended up having to add some of the whipped cream and attack it with the mixer...any way any ideas?

buzzy110, Oct 17, 7:27am
What brand of chocolate did you use? This MAY have a bearing. Some chocolate brands don't take too kindly to being melted anymore. Cadbury's chocolate is now off my list of chocolate I'd use for cooking and I hate the cooking version. It isn't even chocolate IMO. However, I cannot say that it is the brand of choccy for sure because you obviously didn't have a problem till you added the yolks.

I have also found that a lot of dark chocolates aren't brilliant when it comes to melting either, going easily from softish directly to hard and grainy.

Sadly I can't help you with brands anymore because I hardly cook but when I do I just use something expensive like Valhora for example.

bedazzledjewels, Oct 17, 7:46am
Off the top of my head, it sounds like your chocolate seized which means that the two mixtures weren't close enough in temperature.
Look forward to other ideas. A good proper chocolate mousse is not easy to make

hazelnut2, Oct 17, 8:13am
Were your eggs straight from the fridge?Poster 3 mentioned temperatures.. anything cold put into melted chocolate would sieze it..

Sit your whole eggs in a bowl of just over hand-hot water till they warm up, and do it once more before you separate the yolks and whites. (Doesn't take long).

My recipe doesn't mention warming the eggs, but it couldn't hurt.

bullock123, Oct 17, 7:52pm
I had the same problem.But i have perfect mousse now.Melt 200g any chocolate with 2 tbl butter in a glass bowl big enough to fit everything melt over water. While you do this beat 300ml cream soft peaks.Separate 3 eggs, whisk egg yolks, beat the whites firm peaks with 2 tbl sugar. When choc melted gradully add yolks to chocolate a little at a time. then add cream also little at a time. fold in egg whites.
Perfect mousse everytime using Caburys/ whittikers what ever.

bullock123, Jun 6, 5:45pm
My eggs are not in the fridge.