White Flour question

norton, Oct 17, 1:29am
Just bought a bag of White High Grade Flour - I just did some baking with this and things didnt turn out as nice and fluffy as usual - I added baking powder to it as I thought it was like plain flour and not self raising

Should I be adding self raising powder or not??

traceedwards, Oct 17, 1:32am
Apparently High grade flour is suited to bread making & standard flour for general baking.Sommit to do with what it is made from.

Edit:
http://www.bakeinfo.co.nz/school/basics/flour_types.php

cap, Oct 17, 1:33am
Did the recipe state self raising flour or did it state plain flour and have having baking powder somewhere else in the list of ingredients?I wouldn't have added more baking powder unless the recipe said to use self raisig flour.I know people on here say they use high grade flour for everything with good results but I have only used it when making bread.

norton, Oct 17, 1:35am
Oh well I made some biscuits and they turned out great but my muffins an scones not so good.

Maybe I will just get the self raising as usual next time - but got a larger bag so will have to use this up first.

norton, Oct 17, 1:36am
Recipes just said flour and add baking powder - I usually just use SR flour and dont add the baking powder

norton, Jun 5, 6:45am
Thanks for the link - I tried to google this before I came on here but couldnt find anything