Cheap canape or starter for lunch menu ....

unicstudent, Oct 12, 8:30am
Hi, I am doing a menu costing assignment and have nearly spent my budget, but I would really love to have a light bite of something to start. I am having Caesar Salad followed by White Chocolate mousse, berry coulis and fresh berries. Although assignment due soon, the lunch will be cooked late next month. Apart from cost, and needing to be relatively simple both taste and time wise, also needs to be gluten free - so bread/pastry based things are out!! Golly - any ideas?? Thanks in advance :)

talent.scout, Oct 12, 9:55am
whipped egg and bacon strip, baked in mini cupcake tins?

holz22, Oct 12, 6:32pm
mini meatballs on toothpicks?

mackenzie2, Oct 12, 6:39pm
Half shell mussells, grilled with various toppings (bacon/grated cheese, pesto, garlic butter etc) Cheap, easy to do ahead and very yummy

ferita, Oct 12, 6:56pm
mini fritatas

unicstudent, Oct 12, 6:58pm
I was leaning towards either some kind of vegetable thing eg asparagus/cucumber OR a shellfish thing similar to this. What sort of price are mussels at the moment?? Thanks so much for your suggestions :)

floralsun, Oct 13, 3:31am
Purchase mussels in their shells at a fish shop or supermarket - they're usually less than $3 kg, and you'd get about 8-10 at least - probably more. You could serve them in one half of the shell, with a little dressing mixed with fresh herbs, so cost would include mussels, dressing, herbs.

mackenzie2, May 30, 7:18pm
I buy them by the kg usually between $4-$6 and get about 50 mussells for that price.
Another easy pre meal nibble is a circle of cucumber, and swirl of piped cream cheese and a 1/2 red grape on top, bit of a sprinkle of chopped parsley and serve,