Old fashioned Gingerbeer

freedreamz, Oct 11, 8:24pm
When I was a child the neighbor used to make gingerbeer for the hay gangs, She boiled sugar, lemon juice, ginger and water together, may have been more ingredients, and then tipped it into a bottle and topped with chilled water and was delivered to workers straight away and consumed, it was so yummy, but being only 5 at the time, I cant remember the recipe, I dont suppose anyone would have it? TIA

cookessentials, Oct 11, 8:59pm
Courtesy of juliewn
In a 1.5 litre fizzy bottle, place 1 cup sugar, 1 tsp ground ginger and the juice of a lemon.
Half fill the bottle with water, place the lid on and shake well until the sugar is dissolved.
Fill to the top with water.
Add 6 sultanas or raisins, place the lid on and leave in a warm area till the bottle feels tight with the pressure.
Chill well and it's ready..
So easy - and you can make a few bottles at a time..

For lemonade, omit the ginger and make as above..

Quotejuliewn (2008 )11:41 pm, Wed 18 Nov #4

cookessentials, Oct 11, 9:02pm
In a large preserving jar add:
1 dessert spoon of sugar
1 dessert spoon of ground ginger
A squeeze of lemon juice
2 cups of water.

This will be your plant…put on the lid and store it in a cool dark place.

The next day, add 1 dessert spoon of ginger.

On the following day, add 1 dessert spoon of sugar – continue to alternate these ingredients for the rest of the week, till you end up adding ginger on the 7th day.

Now, later on the same day, you’re ready to bottle.

In a large pot, or preserving pan, add 2 cups of sugar and 4 cups of hot water.

Stir till all the sugar is dissolved. Add the juice of 2 lemons. Gently strain in the liquid off your plant.
Then add 12 cups of cold water.

Mix well and filter through a fine tea strainer into bottles…makes about a dozen 340ml bottles.

Halve the sediment left in your plant jar, add 2 cups of cold water, 1 dessert spoon of sugar, 1 dessert spoon of ginger, a squeeze of lemon and continue as before for another week…and so on…

Keep your bottled ginger beer for a week or 2 before you drink it, so it has a little time to ferment.

freedreamz, Oct 11, 10:49pm
thanks guys, I didnt want one that was fizzy.

floralsun, Oct 13, 3:53am
If you add a couple of teaspoons of ginger to this, it would work - or try some finely grated fresh ginger added before boiling:

Lemon Cordial
3 cups sugar
4 cups water
juice 6 lemons
rind 3 lemons grated
1 tbsp citric acid
stir sugar, water, grated rind and citric acid and boil for a few minutes until sugar dissolved. Add lemon juice. And cool and bottle dilute 1part -3 of water or to taste.
Instead of grating the rind I peeled it finely with a vegetable peeler and processed in batches with some of the sugar and added that to the water.(easier especially when doing multiple mix.)
Quote snapit

winnie231, Oct 13, 7:20am
If you google 'ginger cordial recipe' there are a few results which might be what you're looking for. Hope this helps.

macandrosie, May 29, 5:46pm
[courtesy of juliewn]
Instead of the sultanas, put into bottle 1 teaspoon yeast granules. It will be ready when the bottle becomes tight. Probably 24 hrs or less. Really nice.