Need to use eggs up, pudding/dessert ideas please

Page 1 / 2
ned03, Oct 10, 11:19pm
lots of eggs need eating, want to make a yummy easy dessert any ideas? cheers

kiwibubbles, Oct 10, 11:21pm
custard based dishes always use a lot of eggs don't they? custard tart?
you could always make a quiche or bacon and egg pie :)

245sam, Oct 10, 11:32pm
a few quick suggestions.....
as suggested by kiwibubbles "custard based dishes"e.g. baked egg custard (with optional added macaroni, rice, etc.); egg custard to serve with e.g. fruit; pavlova - egg whites for the pav and use the egg yolks to make a curd-type topping (e.g. lemon or orange) for on the pavlova under or instead of cream; Lemon Delicious (recipes can be found here on this Trademe MB using the search option); or another option.....

Have a look also at:-
http://www.eggs.org.nz/

Hope these few thoughts help.:-))

greerg, Oct 11, 12:08am
Golden cake pudding - my grandmother's recipe and my daughter's favourite.
2 eggs, ½ cup boiling water, 2 dspns gelatine, 1 cup sugar, ½ cup cold water

Soak gelatine in cold water for 5 minutes then add boiling water. Beat egg yolks and sugar together - if this is too dry to beat smoothly add a little of the gelatine and water.Beat egg whites stiffly then add gelatine and beat again until stiff before adding yolks and sugar.Set in a bowl, then cover with whipped cream, sliced bananas and shaved chocolate.

lizab, Oct 11, 12:51am
bread and butter pudding - you can use up any stale bread along with all those eggs :)

indy95, Oct 11, 1:12am
Ned03, I have bumped a vanilla cake thread for you. There is a nice recipe from Nigella Lawson in there which uses a lot of eggs and can be used as a dessert with fruit or whatever you want. It also freezes very well.

ned03, Oct 11, 1:14am
thanks so much, done a bread and butter pudding which needed 5 eggs then having a roast so will do yorkshire puddings, thanks for all your help

kvman., Oct 11, 2:58am
I always make lemon honey spread if i have a surplus of eggs,, or a good use for extra eggs is a fruit cake which you can freeze for use later

cookessentials, Oct 11, 3:35am
My custard tart - with a thick egg custard filling which is firm and dusted with grated nutmeg on the top is delicious. Recipe at home, will put up tonight.

floralsun, Oct 13, 3:56am
Lemon Honey can be used for the filling for lemon meringue pie too.

binj, Oct 14, 8:20pm
Ice cream for the yolks, pavlova or meringues for the whites, bacon and egg pies.

binj, Oct 14, 8:20pm
Egg salad

smileeah, Oct 30, 4:21am
Would appreciate that recipe sometime if you don't mind please cookessentials.

smileeah, Jan 12, 8:55am
Just came across this old thread and realised I would still like the custard tart recipe if you dont mind please cookessentials! :)

edenrose, Jan 12, 9:59am
What about curried eggs!(not stuffed eggs).Make a curry, in the usual way, add hard boiled eggs, instead of meat, normally 2 each.Yum!

cookessentials, Jan 12, 5:53pm
Morning smileeah, elliehen alerted me to your message, so here you go.
CUSTARD TART
Pastry: 90g butter
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1 1/4 cups plain flour
1/4 cup s.r flour.
CUSTARD:
3 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp sugar
2 cups milk
nutmeg

Beat butter until creamy,add sugar and beat until just combined.Add lightly beaten egg gradually,beating well after each addition. Work in 2/3 of the sifted flours with a wooden spoon, then remaining flour by hand. Turn onto a lightly floured board,knead lightly till smooth. Refrigerate 30 mins before using. Roll pastry to line a 20cm pie dish.
Handle pastry carefully, making dure there are no breaks,otherwise your custard will seep through. Brush the base and sides of the pastry with lightly beaten egg white to seal the pastry. You can make a decorative edge on the pastry by using the back of a lightly floured tsp.just dont press too hard and go through the pastry.
Beat the eggs and the vanilla and sugar together. Heat the milk until lukewarm,gradually stir into the egg mixture. Put pie dish onto an oven tray, spoon half the custard mix into the pie crust. Put remaining custard into the shell once you have got it ito the oven.just helps stop the custard spilling when you try to put it in the oven! ( I just put the pie, on the tray onto the oven rack,then pour the rest of the custard in carefully. I just use a jug with a pouring lip) Bake inmoderate oven for 50-55 mins. After 15 mins cooking, sprinkle with freshly grated nutmeg. Do not overcook the custard will firm as it cools.

smileeah, Jan 13, 4:14am
Yum yum, thanks so much.

cookessentials, Jan 13, 7:35am
You are very welcome. I am not a great fan of cold custard, but this really is lovely and the nutmeg makes it more so.

elsha00, Jan 14, 8:09am

ned03, Oct 10, 11:19pm
lots of eggs need eating, want to make a yummy easy dessert any ideas! cheers

kiwibubbles, Oct 10, 11:21pm
custard based dishes always use a lot of eggs don't they! custard tart!
you could always make a quiche or bacon and egg pie :)

245sam, Oct 10, 11:32pm
a few quick suggestions.
as suggested by kiwibubbles "custard based dishes"e.g. baked egg custard (with optional added macaroni, rice, etc.); egg custard to serve with e.g. fruit; pavlova - egg whites for the pav and use the egg yolks to make a curd-type topping (e.g. lemon or orange) for on the pavlova under or instead of cream; Lemon Delicious (recipes can be found here on this Trademe MB using the search option); or another option.

Have a look also at:-
http://www.eggs.org.nz/

Hope these few thoughts help.:-))

greerg, Oct 11, 12:08am
Golden cake pudding - my grandmother's recipe and my daughter's favourite.
2 eggs, ½ cup boiling water, 2 dspns gelatine, 1 cup sugar, ½ cup cold water

Soak gelatine in cold water for 5 minutes then add boiling water. Beat egg yolks and sugar together - if this is too dry to beat smoothly add a little of the gelatine and water.Beat egg whites stiffly then add gelatine and beat again until stiff before adding yolks and sugar.Set in a bowl, then cover with whipped cream, sliced bananas and shaved chocolate.

smileeah, Oct 30, 4:21am
Would appreciate that recipe sometime if you don't mind please cookessentials.

aderyn2, Oct 30, 12:54pm
bumping for smileeah.
regards.