Hi, a quick question please on Angelica

effcee1, Oct 9, 10:55pm
I am looking to bake a cake which tells me to add some Angelica, is this readily available in the Supermarket? cant say i have seen it. Thanks in advance.

davidt4, Oct 9, 11:09pm
Candied angelica is an old fashioned addition to fruit cakes and I haven't seen it around for years.It doesn't really have much flavour, just a pretty green colour, so you could leave it out or substitute green artificial cherries if you want the colour.

Fresh angelica isn't use dmuch in baking.

gardie, Oct 10, 7:51am
And the stuff they used to use was often artificial as well (sorry, don't know what it was made out of).Like Davidt said, green cherries would work in its place.

cookessentials, Oct 10, 8:07am
You can buy an angelica plant from the garden centre if you want to grow it. You can candy it yourself.

1cup sugar
1cup water
½lb. thick green angelica stems, cut into 3- to 8-inch lengths
Extra-fine sugar, for dusting
Steps
Bring the sugar and water to a boil, stirring. Remove the pan from the heat.
Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add the angelica stems. Over medium-high heat, cook the stems for 4 to 6 minutes, until they are tender when pierced with a fork. Their sharp, bitter aroma will fill the air.
Drain the stems, rinse them in cold water, and drain them again. Peel off the thin skin. (A vegetable peeler may help, but most of the skin should rub off easily with your fingers.) Put the stems into a bowl, pour the syrup over them, and weight them with a small plate.
The next day, drain off the syrup into a saucepan. Boil it until it has thickened a bit (to about 225 degrees), and pour it over the angelica. Repeat this process the next day, and again the day after.

frances1266, May 20, 2:41am
I think there are 2 angelicas - one is the edible one and the other is ornamental.From memory the ornamental one has a shine on the leaves and the edible one is a dull green.