Lamingtons

catlover28, Sep 19, 8:25am
How do you make pink icing?

nauru, Sep 19, 8:32am
Mix icing sugar to a thick paste with a little water. Add a drop of red food colouring (I usually use a skewer dipped in the bottle) to the icing and mix until you get the shade of pink that you want.

porsh_a, Sep 19, 8:38am
I think my Mum use to dip them in red jelly (just as it was at the point of being ready to start setting), then rolled them in coconut.

juliewn, Sep 19, 9:29am
I use jelly too.. I make the jelly with half the amount of water.. once the crystals have dissolved, pour some of the jelly - about 4-5mm deep, into a pudding bowl, so it's the depth you want the jelly to go into the sponge pieces..

Dip each side into the jelly quickly, then coat with coconut - I use a paper towel with coconut on.. lift the sides of the towel to help coat the sponge..

These freeze beautifully too.. great to make in advance for parties, etc.. Take out on the morning of the party, place on a serving platter/plate, cover with plastic wrap and leave till ready to serve..

Also, there's a choice between strawberry, rapsberry and blackberry jellies - or other flavours/colours..

pickles7, Sep 19, 9:02pm
lamington dip.. chocolate.. raspberry

Chocolate dip.. 5 Tbsp each butter, cocoa... 1 cup of boiling water, 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla, 675 grams of icing sugar. Mix until smooth. Dip frozen sponge squares into chocolate, toss in coconut, set on rack to dry.
Raspberry dip..
melt two pkts of raspberry jelly in 2 cups of boiling water*** set***melt over hot water. Dip frozen sponge squares into jelly, toss in coconut, set on rack to dry. enjoy
Setting the jelly makes for a nice pink, unset can be a bit insipid
Quotepickles7 (452 )12:02 am, Mon 22 Mar #18

cookessentials, Sep 19, 10:01pm
The jelly crystals are the best ones to do - they call them Jelly cakes in Australia too.

catlover28, Apr 1, 6:17pm
Lovley! Im taking that into consideration for sure.