Recipe for Flakey Pastry

pickles7, Sep 18, 8:06pm
pastry:::
4 cups of plain flour, 2 teaspoons of baking powder, 1 teaspoon salt, 500 grams of vegetable fat,[16 ozs], chopped up small.. mix with 2 cups of milk with 4 teaspoons of vinegar added. roll out to approx 40 x 80 cm oblong..., give 4 or 5 book folds.., Rest in the fridge between each book fold for 10 minutes. You can still just see little bits of fat, that is ok., rest in the fridge for 45 minutes.
I often use butter, in that case I would only give 3 or 4 book folds.
This is not flakey to crumbling every where, is good for most things.
Puff is really something else. equal flour to fat, something I have not made using butter, butter is a little too soft. I loved making puff, but used pastry marg, for perfect results. good luck and enjoy.

hoffy10, Sep 18, 8:14pm
Thank you Pickles7.

whitehead., Sep 18, 8:41pm
if you use half butter and half pork dripping you get a crisp pastry and a lovely flavour

pickles7, Mar 29, 10:10am
yummy would make a very nice pastry for savoury goods....whitehead.... I use other fats as well. So many people are put off making pastry, it can be a long process if you are looking for that perfect puff pastry. You really do need pastry marg for that. I won't even make it without that and my pastry break. Once you get your eye in to the layering of the fat, you will never buy pastry again. It freezes well, often I will make a lot of pastry coz I feel like making it, and freeze it. That pastry is often better than a rushed lot.