Proper mince pies recipe

bucjo, Sep 18, 9:50am
Hey there, I'm living in the UK at the moment and it's impossible to get proper kiwi mince pies. I wish someone could just send me an Irvines in the mail but alas.

Does anyone have a recipe for both the inside fiing and the pastry? I use puff pastry on other pies I make (bacon and egg, a chicken and mushroom one last night) but to me, it's not quite the same as pie pastry back home as it's rather fluffy. I want it really dense and crispy. And the insides? How do I get that beef to taste like home?

If anyone wants to pass on the Jimmys pie recipe I would be forever grateful too haha.

anne1955, Sep 19, 6:04am
I could send frozen ones over they are sealed and as such should be allowed to be sentI think or ask someone coming over to bring them..as sealed and made in factories I think they are ok to carry well are into AU and you can send me Fray Bentons tinned pies in return..I have brought cake from the UK and was allowed in here in NZ...bit like all the sweets people send around the world...

motorbo, Sep 19, 6:11am
try using short pastry for the botoom, and flakey on top as to filling a good gravy that is nice and thick

buzzy110, Sep 19, 6:24am
I'll read the ingredients panel when next out shopping but I'm pretty much assuming that what you call a 'proper' pie has a list of chemical additives to give it that thick texture (probably guar gum or hydrolised starch) and colours, msg and flavour enhancers to improve the taste. Just guessing though. I may be wrong. Fats would be replaced with hydrogenated palm oils and sodium content would be higher than what you would use.

Also the manufacturer can strip all sorts of things off bones and from the stuff that would normally be thrown away, such as gristle, and I'm assuming you wouldn't be using those sorts of things in your meat filling.

pickles7, Mar 31, 3:09am
you eat funny stuff in your pies ...buzzy...