Marmalade

duckmoon, Sep 15, 9:46pm
greetings, i have some grapefruit (10kg to be exact), and am planning to make marmalade.

Any tips and recommends...
and what is your favourite recipe?

purplegoanna, Sep 15, 9:55pm
ooooh add some grated raw ginger, gives the marmalade a nice zing....

pickles7, Sep 16, 2:56am
Three fruit marmalade.

preserving pan
sugar thermometer

1 kg of grapefruit [poor-mans oranges]
1 kg navel oranges
2 lemons
4 liters water
5 kg white sugar

slice the fruit thinly, discard pips.
Put the fruit into the preserving pan
cover with the water and leave overnight.
Next morning bring the fruit to the boil and simmer uncovered for 1&1/2 hours.
warm the sugar in the oven
Remove from heat and stir in 5 kg of warmed sugar. Stir to dissolve the sugar, then return the pan to the heat
Boil hard until it reaches 222%F---107%C
heat jars in the oven, boil lids
Put into hot jars and seal.. I re use jam jars that self seal.
I don't test jams any more, messsssssy, just use the sugar thermometer.

Quotepickles7 (452 )1:27 pm, Sun 12 Sep #77

As ....purplegoanna...has mentioned, fresh ginger is very nice.
You can only use so much marmalade. 10 kg is a lot of marmalade, why not give some fruit along with a recipe to the girl next door.

cgvl, Sep 16, 10:18am
Duckmoon there's one in the Diabetic baking thread. It can be halved, doubled or whatever amounts you have. You can also substitute other citrus in it and add things like preserved ginger.

I will cut and paste it here for you.

cgvl, Sep 16, 10:24am
Marmalade
6 large Grapefruit, 9 cups water, 6lb sugar.
Cut up grapefruit and add to the water. Leave to stand overnight. Next day bring to boil and boil rapidly for approx 10 mins. Add sugar and bring back to boil, boil for a further 30-40mins or until will set.
I add about a box of crystalised ginger to recipe with the sugar.

NOW: you can substitute the Grapefruit for lemons, oranges, limes or use a mixture of them all. So long as the amount you use is equal to 6 large grapefruit.
You can halve the recipe or make it in quantities that suit self so long as it remains in proportion.
Use less sugar for a more tart marmalade. Chop the grapefruit in the food processor if liked. Enjoy

cgvl, Sep 16, 10:27am
duckmoon, while I remember my mother used to chop all her grapefruit up, in amounts for the above recipe and freeze it.
She always wrote either the amount of fruit in container or the amount of sugar she needed to add on lid.
Would bring it to boil then add sugar when needed.

beaker59, Sep 16, 11:11am
Interesting thing I heard that I can't confirm is that Grapefruit and Marmalade made from it negate the effects of the birth control pill.

I still haven't used half what I made last year so won't be bothering to make it this year. I also have frozen pulp in the freezer from last year too.

duckmoon, Sep 15, 9:46pm
greetings, i have some grapefruit (10kg to be exact), and am planning to make marmalade.

Any tips and recommends.
and what is your favourite recipe!

purplegoanna, Sep 15, 9:55pm
ooooh add some grated raw ginger, gives the marmalade a nice zing.

pickles7, Sep 16, 2:56am
Three fruit marmalade.

preserving pan
sugar thermometer

1 kg of grapefruit [poor-mans oranges]
1 kg navel oranges
2 lemons
4 liters water
5 kg white sugar

slice the fruit thinly, discard pips.
Put the fruit into the preserving pan
cover with the water and leave overnight.
Next morning bring the fruit to the boil and simmer uncovered for 1&1/2 hours.
warm the sugar in the oven
Remove from heat and stir in 5 kg of warmed sugar. Stir to dissolve the sugar, then return the pan to the heat
Boil hard until it reaches 222%F---107%C
heat jars in the oven, boil lids
Put into hot jars and seal. I re use jam jars that self seal.
I don't test jams any more, messsssssy, just use the sugar thermometer.

Quotepickles7 (452 )1:27 pm, Sun 12 Sep #77

As .purplegoanna.has mentioned, fresh ginger is very nice.
You could also add a little diced candied ginger.
You can only use so much marmalade. 10 kg is a lot of marmalade, why not give some fruit along with a recipe to the girl next door.

cgvl, Sep 16, 10:18am
Duckmoon there's one in the Diabetic baking thread. It can be halved, doubled or whatever amounts you have. You can also substitute other citrus in it and add things like preserved ginger.

I will cut and paste it here for you.

beaker59, Sep 16, 11:11am
Interesting thing I heard that I can't confirm is that Grapefruit and Marmalade made from it negate the effects of the birth control pill.

I still haven't used half what I made last year so won't be bothering to make it this year. I also have frozen pulp in the freezer from last year too.

bev00, Sep 16, 11:46am
lots gapefruit. just waiting to be turned in to marmalade.

auburn4, Sep 17, 11:46am
Grapefruit does interact unfavourably with some medications.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grapefruit_drug_interactions
There is plenty more information out there. Something that should be taken into account especially for the elderly.

buzzy110, Sep 18, 3:16am
Just remember that marmalade sets best when it is made with fruit that is still, ever so slightly, green. The pectin levels at that point are really high and begin to diminish as the fruit continues to ripen so don't wait too long. Conversely you could use pectin or jam making sugar just to be on the safe side or add lemons.

ayglepaygle, Sep 18, 3:19am
Last weekend I made some delicious grapefruit marmalade using the recipe from the Edmonds cookbook - YUM