Crumb Coat on cakes

jaci1, Sep 13, 6:29am
Hi there
Just wondering - can I use chocolate ganache for a crumb coat? Presumably just put on thickly - with white fondant over top? I've attempted white ganache before but was a disaster - far too runny though - my mistake... so aren't too keen to try anything too 'difficult' for my nieces birthday cake this weekend. Would appreciate any advice. TIA :) (am putting kids to bed so will check later :)

pam.delilah, Mar 15, 5:52pm
Crumb Control - How to Keep Crumbs From Ruin-ing Your Cake Decoration

One easy way to keep crumbs under control is to begin your cake decoration by applying a single crumb coat. What is a crumb coat? It's exactly what it sounds like--a thinner layer of icing that you apply to the cake.

You can thin down your regular icing in order to create a specific crumb coat. You can use any liquids that are already at your disposal in order to create a crumb coat.

For instance, you can use water or milk to thin down the cake icing. You have to thin down your icing just enough so that it remains stiff enough to be applied, but you don't want it to be too thick.

It is very important that you let the crumb coat set before you move on to further cake decoration. An easy way to set the crumb coat is to put the cake in the refrigerator and let it set.

You can let it set for at least an hour, but it is best to let it set overnight.
The longer you let the crumb coat set, the best chance you have that the crumbs will essentially become glued to the cake. Once the crumb coat has been fully set, you are ready to proceed with the rest of the cake decoration.