Making oven fries to freeze

stormbaby, Sep 1, 10:31am
Now I used to do this way back when first married (talking over 25 years here!) and I can't remember how I did it. I think I pre deep fried chips and froze them on meat trays then popped into zip lock bags, but I think I re deep fried them. Would it work for oven frying, isn't that just what the ones in the supermarket have had done to them? Any success stories out there.

kob, Sep 1, 7:07pm
you do need to pre deep fry, just as a sealer then can cook out of the freezer any way you choose, standing on your head even if you like LOL they might make crispier french fries that way.

fisher, Sep 1, 8:56pm
makes note to oneself.... Kob said "I will make crispier french fries if I stand on my head..." Must be something to do with the northern hemisphere being the wrong way up.. LOL:}

stormbaby, Sep 2, 6:38am
Kob and fisher up a tree....fill in the missing words.Sorry, couldn't resist, my two favourite recipe posters!!!
Yes, that's it. My Mum always said to double fry, that is precook and either freeze, or set aside, then recook when ready to serve. You get the crispy chip. Fisher, that's what she used the cheffade for. Ta guys.

angel404, Sep 2, 10:42am
so do u completely cook the chips through by deep frying before u freeze them? and then recook them anyway u want the 2nd time?

stormbaby, Feb 21, 5:45pm
No, I can remember my Mum just cooking them, don't let them go brown. Same as when you do the first pre cook, just cooked (sealed, not sloppy) and then crisp them up, almost brown.If freezing (its all coming back now) make sure they are drained properly and up to the same level of cooking.

I am only doing it as I have a huge pot I can use for deepfrying with a large basket, rather than my tiny little chip fryer. Its only worth doing when the spuds are like $4 a 10kg sack (I got one yesterday) and you have a few of the big meat trays, oh and the time to do it.