Cup Cakes

adelante, Sep 9, 2:00am
Edmonds cupcakes!
Such a simple recipe and have a divine light and fluffy taste, it will never fail you:

''125g butter
1 tsp vanilla essence (thank god my mum sent me so many bottles of vanilla extract, unavailable here)
1/2 cup of castor sugar
2 eggs
1 cup plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup of milk

How

- Pre-heat oven to 190°c and prepare cupcake trays and cases.
- Beat the butter, vanilla and sugar together until creamy and pale.
- Add eggs one at a time and mix well. Don't worry if it looks like it is starting to separate, in my experience it all turns out the same in the end.
- Sift flour and baking powder into the buttery eggy mix and fold in until combined.
- Slowly stir in milk (too quickly will splash milk everywhere!) to achieve a soft dropping consistency (you might need to add a little more).
- Spoon evenly into paper cases, then bake for 15 minutes or until cakes spring back when lightly touched.
- Let cool on a wire rack then ice or decorate as you please.
- Makes about 12 cupcakes

Tips

- This recipe can be doubled, tripled, 1.5'ed, made into tiny cupcakes (just cook for around 10 minutes, they cook very quickly so keep an eye on them), chocolated, lemoned, oranged etc etc.

- For choccy cupcakes (and keeping in mind that these are NOT going to be a super-rich, fudgy type of chocolate cupcake), just replace 3 tablespoons of flour with the same of cocoa and continue as above.

- For orange or lemon cupcakes, add the zest of an orange or lemon to the butter, and continue. Ice appropriately.

- Take the butter out of the fridge well in advance of when you want to use to allow it to come to room temperature. It is SO much easier to work with, and makes the batter quite voluptuous.

Icing

My method of icing is somewhat haphazard, involving as little measuring as possible. Works for me, but I realise some people like things to be a little more specific than ' take a lump of softened butter and mix it with some icing sugar, lemon juice and a bit of hot water'. So here for your edification is the Edmonds butter icing recipe, which is pretty much the basis for how I make up my icing anyway.

100g softened butter
1/4 tsp vanilla essence
2 cups of sifted icing sugar
1 - 2 tablespoons of hot water or lemon juice (a mix of both is what I like)

- Cream butter until light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla and then gradually beat in icing sugar.
- Add sufficient liquid to give a spreading consistency - go slowly, because icing doesn't need much liquid. Many a time I have been left with runny icing and no more icing sugar in the house!
- Spread onto cupcukes with a knife momentarily dipped into hot water.
- Add smarties, flowers or any other sundry assortment of marzipan, chocolate, marshmallow etc etc decorations that your darling child has professed a liking for....''

cookessentials, Sep 9, 2:37am
Courtesy of pam.delilah
easy and quick nigella Cupcakes:
4 oz soft butter, flour and sugar, and 2 eggs.
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 to 3 tablespoons milk
Take everything you need out of the fridge in time to get to room temperature - and this makes a huge difference to the lightness of the cupcakes later - and preheat the oven to 200 degrees C.
Put all of the ingredients for the cupcakes except for the milk into a food processor and blitz while adding the milk down the funnel, to make a smooth dropping consistency.
Divide the mixture between a 12-bun muffin tin lined with muffin papers, and bake in the oven for 15 to 20 minutes. They should have risen and be golden on top. Let them cool a little in their tins on a rack, and then take them carefully out of the tin to cool in their papers, still on the wire rack.

Quotepam.delilah (519 )11:47 am, Sun 4 Oct #5

jack47, Sep 9, 3:20am
I made some interesting cupcakes for my grandaughters party and was helped along with the decorating by using writing icing bought at New World,(tubes) lovely colours like lilacs and pink, I piped hearts and filled the centres with hundreds & thousands, got lots of good comments.

katie232, Sep 3, 5:04am
would like a receipe for Cup Cakes and the icingthank you

tlkin, Feb 23, 12:44pm
if you put "cup cakes" into the search box to the left of your screen and put "anytime" in "date posted box" you will find some recipes.