ASIAN STYLE SLOW COOKED PORK BELLY/SLICES

fee1965, Sep 5, 3:51am
OMG made this last night, it was amazing!So yummy, just like in the asian restaurants.

Slow Cooked Asian-Style Pork

( I used pork slices cut into pieces, but can be used with belly pork also)

2 Tbsp Peanut Oil1 Litre Water
1 Tbsp Sesame Oil¼ C Brown Sugar
1 Kg Pork (belly or slices)1 Cup Dark Soy Sauce
2 Small Cinnamon Sticks1 Tsp Fresh Ginger
1 Orange, (juice and peel)2 Star Anise
3 Cloves Garlic3 Spring Onions (finely sliced)

1.Heat peanut oil and sesame oil in fry pan, brown lightly on both sides of the pork – remove from pan.
2. Add cinnamon sticks, star anise, garlic, onions and ginger and stir fry 1 minute.
3. Add orange juice, zest of ½ the orange, soy sauce and brown sugar.Stir 1 minute til sugar has dissolved.
4. Add the water and pour into casserole dish and add pork.
5. Place a piece of baking/greaseproof paper over the pork and then place lid on.
6. Simmer gently in oven for 3 hours on low.
7. Remove pork – if using belly, skin side up place under grill and cook until skin crackles.
8. Whilst pork is grilling, put liquid into pan and boil rapidly to reduce by half.Strain and thicken slightly.
I served with steamed rice and bok choy.
DIVINE!

wahinetoa62, Sep 5, 5:25am
we often have pork belly similar to this...my fella is a chef so i get treated well meal times

marcs, Sep 5, 5:28am
try this one too. very nice

Pork Belly spare ribs with Honey, Soy and Ginger

6 Pork belly ribs/slice
1 large brown onion cut in half and sliced
4 cm piece ginger – rough match stick slice
2 large red chilles – sliced at an angle (use one as too hot for the kids)
4 cloves garlic smashed and skin removed
1 cinnamon stick
1 tsp dried chilli flakes
1&1/2 tsp 5 spice powder
1 cup water
1 cup Chinese cooking wine
100ml oyster sauce
4 tbs soy sauce
4 tbs honey.

Put everything in a oven proof pot and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and put in the oven to bake for one and half hours at 170c.

Remove meat from pot. Skim off the fat and on high heat reduce the sauce by a 1/3. Pour over the meat and serve.

you can use the slow cooker for this too but add less liquid. I reduce the cooking wine and water by 1/4 cup each.

valentino, Jun 30, 1:33am
Someone noted Pork Belly the other day, couple of interesting recipes here.

cuteviolet, Jul 1, 9:45am
yum!!!!

madelahaye, Jul 1, 12:39pm
mmmmmmmm

wahinetoa62, Sep 6, 5:25am
we often have pork belly similar to this.my fella is a chef so i get treated well meal times

guest, Mar 20, 4:23pm
Losing weight reieqrus balancing a diet. What will help most is eating small meals and consuming more dark greens and a mixture of veggies. Then fruits. Then meat. Then whole grains, though non-gluten grains such as tasty and versatile buckwheat are more helpful. Then starches such as potato, plantain, cassava. An example:1 cup of raw or quickly steamed veggies (firm and color will be bright when cooked properly)4oz of meat, rare to medium rare for best benefit1 whole fruit between meals (less fruit than veggies but more fruit than meat)1/4 1/2 cup whole grains or starch between meals cereal, toast/bagel/crumpet/plain bread with honey, real butter or peanutbutterDo NOT use lean meat! The fat that comes with meat contains digestive enzymes. What can interfere with losing weight is consuming meats treated with hormones.Read labels to avoid hormones, trans fats and refined sugars (usually end with ose' like fructose and high fructose)Walking 20 minutes several times a day bring you closer to your goal much faster. If you can't walk, build a light stretch and exercise routine into each day.Be sure to take a good multi-vitamin.Drink half your weight in ounces of water each day. If you weigh 100lbs, drink 50 ounces which is easy to do by exchanging other fluids for water.Digestive enzymes, like Now Foods Super Enzymes, will help digest food.Probiotics such as cultured kefir will condition the digestive tract with good bacteria required for proper nutrient assimilation.

guest, Mar 21, 2:35am
It won't hurt, but you don't have to do that if you don't want. Lean, trimmed red meat is a good scoure of iron and protein. You don't want to overdo it, of course, but once a week won't hurt at all. Pork is a little harder to digest, but some cuts like pork chops can be trimmed and provide adequate protein.Lean chicken breast is a good option. Oily fish like sardines and salmon provide omega 3s, but are high in *(good) fat, so have to be measured carefully when added to diet plan. Be sure to supplement calcium and a multivitamin when you go on your diet to fill in any nutrients you accidentally cut out.Good luck with your challenge!

guest, Mar 22, 10:06am
My husband and I did the Super Supper Saver class, yeedartsy and the Slow Cooked Italian Chicken was part of the 12 dinners you make. We got home and put this in the crockpot and away we went (typical Saturday running around). Had this over rice and was totally blown away at how good this was. My biggest excitement that there is food in the freezer that can be ready to go and if they all taste like the Chicken, I am going to be in good shape! Less stress, and more lb shedding! I recommend that everyone gets a chance to meet Susan and her husband Mike! Take a class you won't regret it!