Mexican Recipes Please ...

2halls, Feb 22, 6:29am
Hi, I'm wanting to branch out and try a lot more Mexican cuisine, so I would appreciate any tried and true recipes that you and your family love. I am also wanting to stock my pantry for Mexican cooking, so any pantry suggestions also gratefully received. Thank you :-)

glendeb, Feb 22, 7:00am
Well, I am a very basic Mexican cook, and probably don't do it "properly" but our family likes it. So...

Nachos
1 tin of beans (either bakedbeans or red kidney)
500gms of mince
1 sachet of Taco seasoning
1 brown onion, chopped finely

Brown onion, add mince and cook until no longer pink. Add beans and taco sachet with 1/2 a cup of water. Simmer until heated through and serve with Nacho chips, sour cream, chopped tomato and avocado and grated cheese.

glendeb, Feb 22, 7:01am
I also cook soft shell tacos, burritos and enchiladas, but I usually use the Old El Paso

theanimal1, Feb 22, 7:03am
Mexican Mince and Potato Bake

•1 teaspoon olive oil •500g beef mince •2-3 cloves of garlic – finely sliced •1 green capsicum - chopped •1 yellow capsicum - chopped •8 spring onions (2 bunches) sliced •3 small-medium tomatoes – chopped •1 teaspoon chilli powder •1 tablespoon ground cumin •1 teaspoon garlic salt •1/2 teaspoon black pepper •1/4 teaspoon salt, •3-5 large baking potatoes, sliced thin, •3/4 cup grated tasty cheese. Preheat oven to 180°C. In a large pan, heat the oil, add the mince, capsicums and spring onions. Cook, stirring as needed, until the mince is browned and the vegetables are softened. Add tomatoes, spices and salt, cook, stirring as needed until the flavours are blended, about five minutes. Arrange layers of the potatoes and mince mixture in the baking dish. Cover with foil and bake 30 minutes, uncover and sprinkle evenly with the cheese. Bake until the potatoes are cooked through and the cheese is melted, about 10-15 minutes longer.

red2, Feb 22, 9:25pm
2halls - have a look at this website . It is a shop and cafe in Ellerslie , Auckland but they do on line shopping and have recipes on the site too . Hope it helps -
www.mexicanspecialities.co.nz

andrea1978, Feb 23, 12:48am
And they also have some pretty good food! Love their spicy shrimp taco :)And there's another dish with a pumpkin seed sauce I had once ... mmm! Best Mexican I've had in Auckland!

2halls, Aug 31, 7:18pm
Thanks red2, that's exactly the kind of stuff I'm looking for. There is a shop here in CHCH called Aji, I'm going to make a trip in there to buy some supplies, but great to know about this one for anything I can't get. Thanks too to everybody else who has taken the time to contribute, much appreciated :-). I also got a Diana Kennedy book out of the library today, as far as I can see she is quite the authority on Mexican cuisine :-)