Good crackling on pork

bricambeagles, Aug 22, 12:17am
What are your methods to get a good one on a roast pork, I dont have much luck with ever making it... I usually cut the skin and mix oil and salt into it but still it never works out right! ! Any ideas on how to do it properly? What temp to cook it etc

molly37, Aug 22, 12:46am
I score the skin and mix salt and oil into it. Then cook the pork slowly, once cooked I remove the skin which generally a little has crackled, then slice it up and grill it under the grill. Delicious.

malcovy, Aug 22, 12:51am
And another tip once crackling is cooked and there are pieces left over that haven't quite 'popped' then put on a plate, cover with a paper towel and put in microwave for a short time. I have only done this once and it was pretty good. I cannot remember how long I put it in the microwave for.

kirinesha, Aug 22, 2:28am
We do it exactly as recommended by Delia Smith and it never fails.

Remove the wrapping from the pork a couple of hours beforehand so the skin dries out in the fridge. Score and rub with salt then cook for the first 20-25 mins at 240C until it crackles, then down to 180 for the rest. Add no oil or fat (why would you oil a piece of fat anyway? )

kcak, Aug 23, 12:07am
I cooked a roast of pork on saturday - 170deg C for 3 hrs. The crackling was cooked and crispy but to just give it that extra crispness, I took it off the roast and grilled it for a couple of minutes while making the gravy - you have to watch it as it burns really quickly. Before putting it in the oven, I sprayed some oil over the skin and sprinkled it with salt. Cooking the roast this way, I have no messy oven - as I used to when cooking at a high temp for a while before turning it down. The pork was also moist and tender after being cooked slowly.

fisher, Aug 23, 9:13am
Kirinesha... that's basically my method... but I score the skin while semi frozen and then poor boiling water over the top. . In the sink of course. . then dry thoroughly. . when cool, rub oil into the skin... it helps BOOST the cooking temp to sizzle the crackling at the initial high temperature... Salt just gives it that magic flavour as does the fat under the skin... .

cj707, Feb 21, 2:59am
I saw a guy on tv smother the skin with butter and then salt before roasting.