home made mayo

topherino, Feb 21, 5:59am
Hi just thought I'd share this recipe, it is absolutely delicious. my family have been raving about it!

Tin of condensed milk
same amount of olive oil
2/3 that amount of vinegar
a teaspoon of mustard
1/2 teaspoon crushed garlic
splash of chilli sauce
two egg yolks

Beautiful in potato salad, just add red capsicum and parsley.

darlingmole, Feb 21, 6:16am
thanks for sharing topherino:-)

I'm a Pams Mayonaise girl myself but might give this a whirl (but I hate condensed milk) do you think I can substitute it with anything else?

beaker59, Feb 21, 7:38am
Take out the condensed milk and replace it with olive oil and substitute half the vinegar with lemon juice drop the chilli sauce and garlic and make it in a foodprocessor adding the oil last slowly and you would be close to what I make.

angel404, Feb 21, 8:08am
i make that recipe as well cept i dont add the egg yolks. but its sure is yummo!

purplegoanna, Feb 21, 9:21am
me too, i dont add egg yolks either, but id add a smidgeon of curry powder and some black pepper... . nana taught me how to make it years ago. . sunday lunch just wasnt sunday lunch at her place without it!

vinee, Feb 21, 9:16pm
While I am very glad you found something yummy to eat I have to say:
It's called salad dressing - not mayo!
(and it has been around since the dawn of time. )

Mayo is
egg, vinegar or lemon juice, salt and oil.

But anywayz enjoy.

elliehen, Feb 22, 12:42am
vinee, I'm definitely NOT getting at you personally here - just to make it absolutely clear :)But I think a few generic names have now crept into cooking as they have elsewhere in life, and that's quite acceptable unless you are searching for something authentic - and even then the experts will still argue among themselves.

I have a Philips vacuum cleaner but I call it a Hoover!

topherino, Feb 27, 2:22am
Up yer nose with a rubber hose!

It IS actually a mayo as it has the egg yolk in it.

As per Lady Flo Bjelke-Petersen! ! !

so put that in yer pipe and smoke it.