Pho Ga recipe anyone?

barbs77, Aug 11, 1:53am
I am making this for dinner, has anyone got a good recipe? If not I will just make the recipe I found on the interweb. Thanks

davidt4, Aug 11, 2:03am
This is how I make it:

Pho Ga (Hanoi Chicken Soup)

Serves 6 – 8

1 large chicken
1 kg chicken necks/wings/backs (or another whole chicken, or use chicken stock instead of water)
14 c cold water (or enough to cover chicken)
1 tsp salt
2 onions thinly sliced
1 tsp white peppercorns
5 cardamom pods
1 black cardamom pod
3 star anise
1 stick cinnamon
4 tab fish sauce
2 tab deep fried shallots
200g fresh ginger – char over gas and rinse
2 tsp sugar
400g rice noodles

to serve:
2 tab deep fried shallots
4 spring onions sliced
½ c chopped Vietnamese mint
1 c coriander sprigs
1 ½ c bean sprouts or watercress
4 chillies, chopped
3 – 4 limes in wedges

Put chicken/s in large saucepan with water/stock. Bring to a boil rapidly; add salt, onions, and spices. Char ginger and add half to broth. Simmer 40 min, skimming often. Remove whole chicken and allow to cool down until able to be handled.

Coarsely chop rest of ginger and add to broth with fish sauce, half of shallots and sugar. Pull chicken apart and return bones and skin to broth. Reserve meat in 3cm chunks. Simmer broth 30 – 60 min, strain and stand 30 min. If using dried noodles soak 30 min in cold water.

Skim fat off broth, reheat to boiling. Get serving bowls ready

Heat noodles by dunking in pan of boiling water. Divide amongst bowls, add handful of chicken meat, a little of everything else except chillies & limes. Serve with chillies & limes on the side.

barbs77, Jan 14, 5:04pm
Thanks for that David, that is very similar to my one so I know I am on the right track! I wonder if it will taste as good as it did in Asia, where it was 40 degrees with an icy cold tiger beer?