I've got a corned Ox tongue!

wasala, Aug 4, 10:17am
What do I do with it? I bought it in a fit of nostalgia - thinking about the tongue in white sauce my mum used to make. Can I do it in the slow cooker? How do I go about peeling it and when?

samsara11, Aug 4, 10:47am
Great for the slow cooker. You peel it when cooked and still hot - let it cool and it will be hard to peel.

trader-joy, Aug 4, 8:55pm
Just slice it with the knife then lift, it should peel off easily

kran32, Aug 4, 10:54pm
I have one sitting on a plate in the fridge just waiting to be cooked up and served with creamy mashed spuds and veges. Might even make a bit of mustard sauce to go with it. Oh the nostalgia! I find it easier to peel whilst still hot. Then I do a little tidying up of the yucky end and then it's all on in this house! My partner is disturbed at the thought of eating tongue so he gets a chop or something for his dins. Lovely as a cold meat too and great for sandwiches with a bit of pickle.

wasala, Aug 8, 7:40am
How long do I give it in the slow cooker and how much water should I put in with it? It's a biggish tongue - 1. 8 kgs!

petal1955, Aug 8, 7:43am
Just put into slow cooker cover with liquid and cook on low for 7-8 hours

wasala, Aug 8, 7:47am
Thank you. It's the first time I've used my slow cooker too so altogether very exciting!

geedubu, Jan 8, 4:58pm
Not as easy to find as it used to be. I am very very fond of cold pressed tongue with salad as a summer meal, but would eat it any time of the year. Wash it first, trim off any fatty bits, boil it like corned beef for (as long as you like) can't really overcook it. In plenty of water, dash of malt vinegar, 1 sliced leek, spoonful of black peppercorns. When the skin is easy to lift off take it out of the pot & peel it thoroughly. Fit it into a small pot (any container where it is a tight fit). Strain some of the boiling water you used to cook it. Stir in a couple of spoons of Gelatine (says on the pack how much, but be generous). Pour this over the peeled tongue in its container. Put a lid over it and weigh the lid down (or strap it down with string; this all requires some ingenuity if you don't have a "meat-press" - anyone have one for sale? ? ) So it is compressed somewhat. Sit it in the fridge overnight. Turn it out, serve sliced with mustard, chutney, salad etc. You will also have superb sandwiches for the rest of the week!