In Need of FISH inspiration for tea

rah12, Aug 3, 1:57am
I want to stop and buy fish on the way home, how can i make it nice n yummy, like maybe salmon . . but what sauce ? what kind of veg, prefer some kind of salad ... helpppp please TIA

cookessentials, Aug 3, 3:02am
what about sweet and sour fish? i cut fish into small pieces and coat in egg and breadcrumbs with sesame seeds added. I gently shallow fry. I make a sweet and sour sauce and serve either with or without rice.

cookessentials, Aug 3, 3:03am
SWEET & SOUR SAUCE
1x onion;2tbsp soy sauce;1x clove garlic;2 tbsp brown sugar;salt;1 tbsp vinegar;1 cup pineapple pieces in juice;1/4 cup cold water;2 tbsp cornflour; ground ginger.

Peel and finely chop the onion, crush the garlic in salt. Combine pineapple, soy sauce;ground ginger and vinegar in saucepan. Bring to the boil and simmer 2-3 mins. Mix cornflour to a paste with the water. Add the sauce and cook till clear and thickened for three minutes.

ogden, Aug 3, 6:23am
I made this the other night and was really yummy, got this from another TM member on here :) I'm a bit late putting it up but you may want to use it next time. . I didn't use green chillies couldn't find any in the supermarket.

Coconut fish curry

450g firm white fish cut into large chunks
1 T olive oil
1 t cumin seeds
1 onion, grated
100g canned chopped tomatoes or fresh
3 green chillies, finely chopped
½ t ground turmeric
½ t chilli powder
pinch garam masala
300ml coconut cream
handful of fresh coriander, chopped
basmati rice, to serve

This recipe was inspired by Vicky Bhogal's recipe for Coconut fish dream

Method
1. Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Add the cumin seeds and when sizzling, add in the onion and fry until lightly golden. Turn down the heat. Add the tomatoes, green chilli, ground turmeric and chilli powder. Season and stir well.
2. When the oil has separated, add a sprinkle of garam masala and stir in the coconut cream. Heat gently for 2-3 minutes. Stir in the fish making sure it is covered in the sauce. Cover and cook on a very low heat for 15-20 minutes.
3. Serve with boiled basmati rice and garnish with a sprinkling of chopped coriander.

I have instead of adding the spices added a good tablespoon of green curry paste ( available in lots of forms from the supermaket)
yum yum

motorbo, Aug 3, 6:39am
spring isnt far away which means fresh asparagus isnt far away, this is jamie oliver it is soo yummmyyy

delicious roasted white fish wrapped in smoked bacon with lemon mayonnaise and asparagus
main courses | serves 4

i used hapuka fillets

Preheat your oven to 200ºC/400ºF/gas 6. Season your beautiful fish fillets with the rosemary, finely grated lemon zest (no bitter white pith, please) and pepper – you don’t need to use salt because we’re going to wrap the fish in the lovely salty smoked bacon. Lay your rashers of bacon or pancetta on a board and one by one run the flat of a knife along them to thin them and widen them out. Lay 4 rashers together, slightly overlapping, put a fish fillet on top and wrap the rashers around it.

Lightly heat a large ovenproof frying pan, add a splash of olive oil and lay your fish, prettiest side facing up, in the pan. Fry for a minute, then place the pan in your preheated oven for 10 to 12 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fish, until the bacon is crisp and golden.

While the fish is cooking, you can make your simple lemon mayonnaise. I do this by mixing homemade mayonnaise with a nice amount of lemon juice and pepper. Or, if you’d rather sit down for five minutes with a glass of wine, use some ready-made mayo instead! You want to add enough lemon juice to make the flavour slightly too zingy. This is because, when you eat it with the asparagus and the fish, it will lessen slightly in intensity. And don’t worry if the mayo looks a little thinner than usual when you’ve added the lemon juice – think of it as more delicate.

The asparagus is a great accompaniment because, like the fish, it also loves bacon. You can either boil or steam it; either way it’s light and a nice contrast to the meatiness of the fish. When cooked, toss it in the juices that come out of the fish. Simply serve the fish next to a nice pile of asparagus, drizzled with the lemon-spiked mayonnaise. And if you’re feeling very hungry, serve with some steaming-hot new potatoes.

elliehen, Aug 3, 7:29am
With apologies, not an inspiration, but a lighter moment -I have just found a recipe in an old New Zealand Women's Institutes Cookery Book for 'Bloater Paste':
'Four or five bloaters or red herrings, 1/4 lb butter, 1 cup cream. Put fish through mincer twice, minus heads and tails. Heat butter and cream, mix all together. Put into small pots and cover with salad oil or butter. '

And I thought when RoaldDahl's messy Mr Twit said, "Children, eat your soggy bloaters, " that he was talking about badly-cooked sausages!

bisloy, Dec 22, 9:08am
My fav recipe meal for salmon. Sear salmon fillets/steaks in a dry pan (no oil, the salmon produces HEAPS! ), sprinkle with soy sauce and keep warm in the oven while cooking the others. Make a simple salad with lettuce, carrots, tomatoes and celery. Warm the bread. Serve with raspberry vinegarette. Must try the warmed bread with butter dipped in the juices from the salmon and a little vinegarette ... ... . wonder if I have some salmon in the freezer ... ...