Tips on doing nice roast veg please.

Page 1 / 2
flopsie, Aug 1, 5:56am
My roast potatoes and parsnip are never very flash. Boiled them for 5 minutes tonight before covering in olive oil and putting them in the roasting dish. Open to sugestion.

blt10, Aug 1, 6:04am
I boil for 5 min, toss in seasoned flour preferably wholemeal to ensure more crunchiness. Sometimes they are seasoned with just S&P or other spices ( southern -style is yummo).

alfredtonroad, Aug 1, 6:09am
boil until semi-firm, spread out on a tray to cool & dry, overnight in fridge even better.
heat oil in oven at 180c, add veges & toss to cover.
fanbake until crunchy.

flopsie, Aug 1, 6:27am
Thanks... I have them in oven now on a rack as they stick. I guess thats not ideal either?

beaker59, Aug 1, 6:35am
I just dry mine roll in oil and roast in the same pan as the meat always seem to come out fine I roast whole garlic cloves and rosemary with mine generally.

I have a fanbake oven and run at 180 c for 45 min or so.

I was led to believe the boiling first thing was just for potatoes?

flopsie, Aug 1, 6:39am
You probably right but as I was boiling the potatoes I decided to do parsnip seperately as well.

waswoods, Aug 1, 6:43am
I take any/all vegetables: onions, mushrooms, carrots, pumkin, kumara, potatoes and layer them in a deep baking dish. Pour over some olive oil and salt (or any other spices I find); put them in a hot oven for about an hour

elliehen, Aug 1, 7:00am
And if you line the dish with baking paper, they won't stick to the dish and lose their bottoms as you lever them out :)

sweethaert22, Aug 1, 7:05am
dry them before you put them in the oven

spongeypud, Aug 1, 8:55am
I just boil for 5 mins and then chuck them in oil the same as you flopsie, I find that Agria are the best for roast spuds though, mine were lovely and crispy tonight, after boiling and draining them, give them a shake in the pan to rough up the sides.

flopsie, Aug 1, 9:12am
Agria are good... grew some on the farm and kept the small ones aside for roasting. Will take some of the advice above on board for next time. Thanks.

perle, Aug 1, 11:44am
**BEST EVER**
Par boil ur potatoes (as u would potato salad)
Drain them in a colander, then shake them all around the colander so they get all roughed up on the outsides, then coat in flour, add some herbs, garlic salt id you like what ever takes ur fancy(smoked paprika is good)
Put in roasting dish, drizzle over EVOO
put into oven, turn a few times during cooking, roast till golden and crisp on outside... you will never roast a potato the old way EVER AGAIN! ! !

flopsie, Aug 1, 9:50pm
Thanks... so what's Evoo, is it oil?

cap, Aug 1, 9:57pm
EVOO - extra virgin olive oil. That Rachel Ray used to annoy me with that one!

juliewn, Aug 2, 6:43am
I don't precook them. . place on baking paper in a slice tin or roasting dish. . spray some oil over. . bake at 160°C for 3/4 hour, then 190°C for 10-15 minutes till as golden and crunchy as you want. .

cookessentials, Aug 2, 6:46am
I steam my potato and kumara until just tender- where a knife will go part way in. I roll in a mixture of plain flour, salt and pepper and into the hot oil in the pan along with the roast. Pumpkin goes in first with the meat-uncooked. Parsnips go in raw too.

purplegoanna, Aug 2, 6:48am
i par boil them, then drain then put the lid on the pot and shake them so the edges go all fluffy and put them in the oven in 200-220' hot oil 1cm deep and cook until brown and crispy...

winnie231, Aug 2, 7:10am
Try these for a change ...

Mini Roasties

Preheat oven to 220C (200C if fan oven)
Use a mix of any or all of the following: potatoes, kumara, pumpkin, carrots, parsnips, onions ... peel if you want but I prefer leaving the skin on & just scrubbing (except for the onions).
Cut into small chunks (2-3cm? ) & place in a large bowl. Pour a little oil (just enough to coat all the pieces) over and toss to coat. Then sprinkle over salt, freshly ground pepper, garlic granules & oregano (or a seasoning mix from the shop that sounds yum to you). Toss again and spread out in a roasting dish lined with baking paper. Bake for 30-40 mins or until cooked & golden. Give a shake/stir 1/2 way through.

tiggermurf1, Aug 2, 8:25am
I just put my roasties straight in with my roast meat - about an hour before it finishes, roll them round in all the roast juice and YUM YUM, can't beat them - don't boil first, just straight in

beebs, Aug 3, 2:17am
and dont panic with the sticking thing, at least with the potatoes anyway just leave them alone... ... ... . they will 'unstick' when they are at the right cooking stage (i used to panic and try and scrape them off until - i think it was rick stein, said just leave them and they will come away from the pan when they are ready... ... . . and they do)

valentino, Aug 3, 3:16am
Golly gosh, so many different methods... .

Here's the way that I always do them for the oven ... the same method for hooded BBQ ...

When one puts their big chunk of meat in, one also put in all their veges... . with the veges a little bit of oil over each one then a wee bit of salt. One then adds about a half cup to 3 quarters of a cup at least of water into dish without touching any sides of veges.
The added moisture works wonders.

I slowly bake at 180c for at least a couple of hours (depending on size of everything) then remove meat to rest, turn up the oven to say about 225c, raise the oven shelf and bake for at least 15 to 30 minutes, turning veges a little(whilst meat is resting then being carved) then serve the veges.

Really found the time is the key after all, have noted where some par boil etc... .

Sometimes may add a sprig or a few of fennel leaves on the BBQ one to give that nice extra taste, or some other nice seasoning etc.

claudds, Aug 3, 4:41am
thanks everyone for teaching an old cook some new ways.

elliehen, Aug 3, 5:16am
From the 1950 New Zealand Women's Institutes Cookery Book:
"Roast potatoes: To roast potatoes round the meat, dry well and place in pan; cover potatoes quickly with boiling fat and cook until the potatoes are nicely browned and soft when tried with a skewer. "

supergran31, Aug 3, 5:22am
I used one of those "Maggi chicken in a bag" to pop my roasties into and they came out devine! I used the tomato and herb one there are so many flavours - easy and clean way to do it :)

firob, Dec 23, 8:04am
A trick to get a crisp roast tatie is to score with a fork before tossing in flour then a dust with pkt stuffing when placed in the oiled pan.