Yogurt price hike!!!

didorothy, Jul 29, 7:05am
Has anyone got a good recipe for making your own yogurt? Ive tried in the past and its always runny. I use the whey to make stuff but its never quite got "it" like the commercial ones. Help! The prices are getting astronomical these days. Particularly like Greek variety.

pickles7, Jul 29, 8:21am
didorothy... Greek yogurt will take extra milk, and will turn out as thick as it was before the milk was added. I keep adding milk over a few days, until it stops thickening. eg. 1/2 a cup of milk a day , and go from there.

uli, Jul 29, 9:05am
Greek yoghurt is made from sheep milk and that is why it is so thick and creamy (sheep milk has 8% fat).

In NZ the "industry" makes "Greek" yoghurt from cows milk with added milk powder or added gelatin for thickening.

It will never have the same flavour norconsistency though - but if you do not know better it might be edible ...

If you want to make your own then you can buy sachets with added milk powder so you make a "thick" yoghurt in your yoghurt maker.

cookessentials, Jul 29, 9:14am
You can make your own with a good quality organic yoghurt as a "starter"
If you want to have a wee look here #1, it may give you a few ideas. There are also great books available for making your own. The Home Creamery is a good one.
http://farmlet.co.nz/? p=62

didorothy, Dec 9, 2:04am
Hey thanks guys for all your help. Ill give the extra milk thing a go However I weakened and bought the creamy Greek from the super market so will use this as my next base. Should I use full milk powder to add extra milk or just the blue top?