Why does my pastry fall to bits before

darlingmole, Jul 29, 6:53am
I can put it in my quiche pan? ? ?

Have used Cookessentials recipe (1 c Flour, 100 g butter, 1 egg yoik, 1 T lemon juice) and much as it is really nice it has done nothing but fallen to bits everytime I make it ... hence I end up putting it into my quiche tin in patches and trying to make it stick together!

Is there a trick I don't know? I softened my butter (not melted) so I could knead it etc.

Honestly ~ all and any suggestions much welcome:-)

cookessentials, Jul 29, 7:05am
Hi Dm, use a little more flour on your board/bench when you roll it. You often find that very short pastry does break. The best way to get it into your quiche tin is: Roll it gently on a lightly floured surface. Once it is rolled large enough to fit your pan, place your rolling pin on the top edge, gently roll the pastry over the pin and keep rolling the pin so that the pastry rolls up on the rolling pin. Lower the rolling pin onto the edge of your pan, then gently unroll it, so that the pastry unravels over the pan. Gently ease it into the pan and ease it in with your fingers. At times, it will break off a little, but that's ok, it will stick together pretty well. Just make sure there are no holes in the base, press gently with your finger tips. This pastry shell is chilled in the refrigerator, so it will be fine.

nauru, Jul 29, 8:29am
Chill it in the fridge for 30 minutes before rolling it out.

darlingmole, Jul 29, 8:58am
thanks nauru ... I did chill it once it was in the tin.

Hey cooky ~ will give that a go. Have the BIG heads up from the family that this is the fav pastry (have previously used supermarket chubs). Sounds a bit tricky but if you can do it? then so can I

ferita, Jul 29, 9:12am
Cold is your friend. Get it ice cold and work it as least as possible.

The best pastry chefs have cold hands :)

cookessentials, Jul 29, 9:18am
it really is easy and as other have said, yes you can chill it, however, it does tend to make it a bit stiff to roll. The more you make it, the easier it will become and you will have your own ways of doing it that will suit you.

pickles7, Dec 8, 8:49pm
That should fix your problem, chill, knead a little, roll.