Lamb shanks - HELP!?

wiggles123, Jul 28, 1:13am
We love lamb shanks! I used to cook them beautifully - they would come out so tender and just fall off the bone! Now I'm "scared" to cook them 'cos they're always tough and very disappointing. I don't appear to be doing anything different - seal them in frypan then cover and cook on 160 for approx two hours.
Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks :)

noonesgirl, Jul 28, 1:28am
l/h message board enter lamb shanks then date posted - anytime. Recipies etc there. Good luck

crystalmoon, Jul 28, 1:31am
I'd cook my for at least 4 hours, they need long and slow. Goodluck.

wiggles123, Jul 28, 1:34am
Wow - that long! What temperature do you cook yours on crystalmoon?

purplegoanna, Jul 28, 1:43am
me too, in an oven bag with some garlic and a slosh of mint sauce and cook them on 160' for 4 hrs then take them out of the bag to brown at 190' for about 10mins only if they need it.

benden, Jul 28, 1:49am
If you have a Crockpot, use it.

sew.obsessed, Jul 28, 4:12am
Yes, a crockpot is the best way.

fisher, Jul 28, 4:41am
Here's what I did the other day...
Smeared olive oil all over the shanks (4). . little ground pepper and onion salt. . into oven on grill to brown and seal on a roasting dish with rack, little water in bottom... turned to brown other side. .
Row of crescent onions and some sprigs of rosemary in the bottom of the same roasting pan and the shanks on top. . foil over the top and cover completely. . Middle of oven at 170 for 90 mins... and remove foil for last 20 mins... recover with foil and rest on bench for 20 mins... meanwhile make onion gray with some flour and red wine on stove top... stick blender to wizz all up . . do taste test... .

juli55, Feb 21, 4:19am
Slow Cooked Lamb Shanks
Serves 4-6
6-8 lamb shanks
¼ cup seasoned flour
2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 carrot, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
3 cups beef stock
1½ cups red wine
425g can tomatoes
1 tbsp thyme, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
Method:
1.Dust shanks in seasoned flour and shake off excess. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Brown shanks well and then remove from pan.
2. Add onion, carrot and garlic to same pan. Sauté over medium heat till onion is tender. 3. Return shanks to the pan, Add stock, wine, thyme, tomatoes and seasonings. Pour the the lot in your slow cooker cook for 6-8 hrs

greerg, Feb 21, 4:57am
Yum - haven't had shanks since last winter.A bit hot at the moment but soon ....

ferrit47, Feb 23, 9:56pm
Just Fan Bake them for about an hour or so at around 200 and add water to the pan.

lythande1, Feb 23, 11:14pm
juli55 has the idea. Lots of moisture and slow cooking.

nzhel, Feb 24, 12:54am
Must say I have noticed them tough and not as nice these days too.

wiggles123, Jul 29, 1:13am
We love lamb shanks! I used to cook them beautifully - they would come out so tender and just fall off the bone! Now I'm "scared" to cook them 'cos they're always tough and very disappointing. I don't appear to be doing anything different - seal them in frypan then cover and cook on 160 for approx two hours.
Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks :)

crystalmoon, Jul 29, 1:31am
I'd cook my for at least 4 hours,they need long and slow.Goodluck.

wiggles123, Jul 29, 1:34am
Wow - that long! What temperature do you cook yours on crystalmoon!

purplegoanna, Jul 29, 1:43am
me too, in an oven bag with some garlic and a slosh of mint sauce and cook them on 160' for 4 hrs then take them out of the bag to brown at 190' for about 10mins only if they need it.

benden, Jul 29, 1:49am
If you have a Crockpot, use it.

sew.obsessed, Jul 29, 4:12am
Yes, a crockpot is the best way.

fisher, Jul 29, 4:41am
Here's what I did the other day.
Smeared olive oil all over the shanks (4).little ground pepper and onion salt. into oven on grill to brown and seal on a roasting dish with rack, little water in bottom. turned to brown other side.
Row of crescent onions and some sprigs of rosemary in the bottom of the same roasting pan and the shanks on top. foil over the top and cover completely. Middle of oven at 170 for 90 mins. and remove foil for last 20 mins. recover with foil and rest on bench for 20 mins.meanwhile make onion gray with some flour and red wine on stove top.stick blender to wizz all up . do taste test.